Washington State Office Engineer - TE3 in Fife, Washington
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking motivated engineer with strong technical and engineering skills to fill the position of Office Engineer in the Fife Project Engineering Office. This position will supervise the office staff on a Design Build Project. This leader will play an important role in the successful delivery of Design Build projects by performing peer reviews of engineering reports, calculations and plans; providing input during over-the-shoulder reviews to designers who are completing final design; and performing quality verification audits of design submittals and construction work.
This is a great opportunity to work in a challenging, fast paced environment on major highway construction projects in the Tacoma area while gaining valuable experience working with Design Build project delivery. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of agency polices, project reporting, standards and procedures as well as transportation engineering principles, practices and methods. It is essential that the incumbents have excellent communication skills, can supervise engineers and technicians and can provide input on complex engineering issues.
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of a multimodal transportation system and responsible for ensuring that people and goods move safely and efficiently. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system consisting of over 18,000 lane miles and 3,600 bridge structures, WSDOT is responsible for the largest ferry system in the nation; owns three Talgo train sets in the Amtrak Cascades fleet; and works in partnership with others to maintain and improve local roads, railroads and airports, as well as to support alternatives to driving, such as public transportation, bicycles and pedestrian programs. Additionally, WSDOT manages the world's widest tunneling project and the world's longest floating bridge. WSDOT's diverse programs and projects are supported by more than 6,800 full-time employees, including engineers, vessel captains, maintenance technicians, environmental specialists, planners, and more. We take pride in our workforce and strive for excellence and integrity in everything we do.
This position will perform the following work:
- Manage projects, including scope, schedule, and budget.
- Lead and mentor a team of engineers and technicians.
- Provide supervision and guidance in preparing contractor payments, materials documentation, review and processing of change orders, review and approval of contractor submittals, administrative documents, and preparing budget and cost reports.
- Prepare quality verification audit plans of final design, materials documentation, and project documentation
- Perform or check engineering calculations such as quantities, areas, volumes, elevations, and grades.
- Prepare and review change orders and supporting documentation.
- Produce and review technical documents and reports.
- Provide PS&E; technical guidance and direction regarding WSDOT standards and procedures.
- Coordinate projects with various in-house specialty groups and partner with external customers.
- Represent WSDOT at meetings with local agencies, consultants, contractors and other stakeholders.
- Conduct field reviews, which involve walking along highways and traversing uneven terrain to collect data.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience.
- One year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent experience.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply design standards, guidelines, and procedures.
- Ability to interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of roadway design and contract administration principals.
- Excellent and effective communication skills both written and verbal.
- Proven track-record of leading and developing a team.
- Ability to establish and develop collaborative working relationships.
- Strong technical aptitude and the ability to quickly master various software applications to prepare/generate project schedules, reports, and estimates including CCIS, CAPS, PRI, Contract Manager, P6, and Share Point.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions and areas adjacent to live traffic.
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 30 pounds over various terrain.
- Valid driver's license and the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, you are required to become a member of the PTE, Local 17, or arrange to pay that union a representational fee. The union shop requirement shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions. As part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest and resume. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
*Contact us: *
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Giese at 360-905-2223or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 2016-OR-062.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-OR-062
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 10/30/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $55,728.00 - $73,140.00 Annually
Location: Pierce County – Fife, WA