Smithsonian Institution Utility Systems Repairer-Operator (Aquatic Life Support Systems) in FEW vacancies Washington, District Of Columbia
- FEW vacancies - Washington DC, DC
Work Schedule is Full-Time, Permanent - Federal
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (8 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (6 day(s) away)
About the Agency
This position is located in the Animal Care Sciences (ACS), of the Smithsonian’s National Zoological Park (NZP). The purpose of this position is to serve as an Aquatic Life Support Systems Operator (LSS) - with responsibilities in the daily operations of LSS for animal well-being including daily water quality testing at our on-site labs located throughout NZP.
- Assists LSS Assistant Curator and Curator in the maintenance, design and construction of any of the NZP aquatic systems.
- Monitors systems within predetermined acceptable ranges and takes immediate action to inform the Curator and Assistant Curator when levels fall/rise beyond acceptable ranges, and to take corrective action.
- Performs in-house laboratory testing of water samples including: chloramines; chlorine (free, total, combined); oxygen reduction potential (ORP); ammonia/nitrite/nitrate; phosphate; pH, alkalinity and buffers; dissolved oxygen and carbon dioxide; dissolved solids; salinity; and other chemistries specific to the animal collection.
- Enters data and logs (computerized) water analysis and other assigned LSS records.
- Performs routine operations of the LSS department including: sand or bead filter backwash and backwash recovery; biological filter maintenance; filter element replacements such as reverse osmosis filters and deionized water systems; servicing of various strainers and baskets; foam fractionators; aeration systems; reservoir water systems; and the production of synthetic seawater.
- Not Required
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation.
- May need to complete a Probationary Period.
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
In order to be rated qualified, an applicant's overall experience and training must indicate possession of the minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
PHYSICAL EFFORT:The work requires the ability to lift and carry materials weighing up to 75 pounds. The work also requires extended periods of standing, walking, bending, and stooping.
WORKING CONDITIONS:The work is performed indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions. The incumbent is exposed to dust and to unpleasant odors and noises from the animals and equipment as well as cleaning solutions and other chemicals. The work is performed on concrete floors and other hard surfaces. The work may be performed in closed or cramped spaces. Several mechanical areas are routinely accessed by stairs of up to four (4) floors. The incumbent may be exposed to animal waste, and may be exposed to animal parasites and zoonotic diseases.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS:The incumbent must receive immunizations to guard against zoonotic diseases and is subject to regular medical screening.
The incumbent may be assigned to any eight hour shift and is subject to a call for duty at any time, including weekends and holidays.
The incumbent is considered to be emergency personnel for purposes of being on-call during government shutdowns due to inclement weather, Code Red terrorism alerts, and other emergency situations, to ensure adequate animal care is provided as required.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the job opportunity announcement.
For information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, see OPM’s web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.htm.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
At the end of the application process you will be able to create and save a PDF file that contains your responses to the assessment questions. You may save this file as initial receipt of your application. After the job announcement closes, you will receive an email from the Smithsonian with confirmation of receipt. The Smithsonian receives many applications for each job. Each application is reviewed carefully which may take a few weeks. We will send you an e-mail to update you as we go through phases of the application review process. You may also check your application status by logging into www.usajobs.gov and selecting the tab "My USAJOBS;" e-mailing email@example.com; or by contacting the Office of Human Resources Representative listed. Additional Information:
- Tips on applying for Smithsonian jobs are available at www.sihr.si.edu/jobs.cfm.
- The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
- The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema).
Review our benefits
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
Salary Range: $21.91 to $29.02 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-4742-07/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities may also apply to Job Announcement #17R-LM-302154-MPA-NZP.
Control Number: 453456700
Job Announcement Number: 17R-LM-302154-DEU-NZP