Indian Health Service Nurse Midwife (ESEP/MP/DH) in Eagle Butte, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Eagle Butte, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 4/7/2016 (198 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located in Eagle Butte, South Dakota. The purpose of this position is to: plan and provide women's health care with emphasis on the reproductive cycle including management of intrapartum period for normal and high risk mothers; provide health care for newborns; educate, counsel, and advise patients on all aspects of the reproductive cycle and related psychosocial issues; educate, counsel, and advise other health care professionals; and participate in research, IHS goal development, and nursing/medical standards and protocol developments. This position reports to the Clinical Director of the Cheyenne River Health Center.
DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT: These positions are eligible to be filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority [DHA]. The Direct Hire Authority has been authorized by the Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations [5 CFR]. If filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. The "rule of three," Veteran's preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the Direct Hire process. Indian Preference does apply.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Plan and provide women's health care with emphasis on the reproductive cycle.
- Educate, council and provide patients and medical staff on all aspects of the women's reproductive cycle.
- Make decision on medical care needs of patients with physicians as well as other nursing care needs in regards to the women's reproductive cycle.
- Manages independently antepartum, postpartum, family planning, gynecological, and newborn patient care including medical nursing and preventative healing.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses WILL BE authorized and WILL BE PAID. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
- A copy of active current unrestricted license
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
REGISTRATION: Applicants MUST have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained.
EDUCATION: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
GS-11: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level; OR, Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent); OR, Three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education.
GS-12: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED: Experience and skill with pharmacology of contraceptives, anesthetics, intravenous solutions, uterine stimulants, antibiotics, and other agents used to treat common medical problems, in order to prescribe, administer, and monitor medications, controlled drugs, sedatives, and tranquilizers is also required in order to administer and monitor effects when prescribed. Experience to anticipate and recognize deviations from normal in order to institute measures to safeguard the well being of women and babies. Experience and skill with emergency measures and the ability to institute treatment. Experience and skill with sufficient to properly perform atraumatic delivery techniques, anesthesia, minor surgical and resuscitative techniques, specialized equipment and contraceptive devices. Experience as a nurse-midwife they work alone or as a team leader of multidisciplinary team. Experience and skills as a nurse-midwife, functions with high degree of autonomy; the extent and nature of supervision varies with the setting and the particular kinds of patient problems the nurse-midwife is expected to encounter. Experience as a nurse-midwife is self-directed and has considerable independence and latitude to develop new procedures, practices, and approaches.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled. Applicants for nurse anesthetist positions at GS-9 and above must have graduated from a course of study for nurses in anesthesia of at least 18 month's duration that was accredited by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the year of their graduation. Applicants for nurse midwife positions must have completed an organized program of study and clinical experience recognized by the American College of Nurse Midwives.
EVALUATION OF EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Government Housing is available
- Work Schedule is rotating shifts and position is on call with clinical services.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,081.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-11/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A, and/or PHS Commissioned Corp Personnel.
Control Number: 435340700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1674808-ES/MP/DH