Indian Health Service Health System Specialist Business Office in Eagle Butte, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Eagle Butte, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 8/19/2016 (67 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
*This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information. This position will remain open until filled. *
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position is located within the Business Office of the Cheyenne River Health Center Eagle Butte, South Dakota. The primary purpose of this position is to direct and manage the third party reimbursement program, while following the Cheyenne River Health Center policies. This position reports directly to the Managed Care Supervisor. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- Directly supervises the BO staff which consists of Contact Representatives, Billing Technicians, and Patient Registration Technicians. The incumbent plans work to be accomplished by subordinates and prepares schedules for completion of work; assigns work to subordinates based on priorities and capabilities of employees; evaluates work performance of subordinates; advise or counsel employees on work and administrative matters; interview candidates for positions, recommend appointment, promotion, or reassignment to such positions; hear and resolve complaints from employees; effects minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands; identify training needs of employees; approves leave, etc.
- Utilizes the patient data base information system, which includes conducting patient interviews to update information of demographic and third party resource data, recording the information and submitting to the Area Third Party Reimbursement.
- Must have thorough knowledge of P. L. 94-437, Title IV of Indian Health Care Improvement Act, The Privacy Act of 1974, Public Law 99-272, Federal Medical Care Cost Recovery Act, The Drug Abuse Office and Treatment Act of 1972, hospital policies and procedures governing release of information and the recovery of cost of medical care provided to certain individuals.
- Knowledge of IHS Policy and Regulations on Alternative Resources, CFR 42-36.21 (A) and 23 (Q. Incumbent must have good working knowledge of ICD-9 CM and CPT-4 coding; Knowledge of reimbursable insurance procedures and requirements including ability to interpret provisions of individual health plans and group plans; Privacy Act of 1974 mandates that the incumbent shall maintain complete confidentiality of all administrative, medical and personal records, and all other pertinent information, that comes to her/his attention or knowledge. The Privacy Act carries both civil and criminal penalties for unlawful disclosure of records.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Major study hospital administration, public health administration, or related fields such as business or public administration with course work in health care administration. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: *GS-12: *One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-11 grade level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:is progressively responsible analytical or administrative, or clinical management or supervisory experience in the health care field. This work may have been performed in an operating health care facility or a higher organizational echelon with advisory or directional authority over such facilities. Work must have involved a close working relationship with facility managers and analysis and/or coordination of administrative, clinical, or other service activities, and provided knowledge of the following:
Missions, organizations, programs, and requirements of health care delivery systems.
Regulations and standards of various regulatory and credentialing groups; and
Government-wide, agency, and facility systems and requirements in various administrative areas such as budget, personnel, and procurement.
*SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED: *Work experience in collections of all third party resources and accuracy of third party billing activities. Experience processing a wide variety of transactions, extracting, compiling and verifying utilization of billing data, computing and adjusting account balances, preparing required forms and records, and submitting and maintaining current assignments of benefits.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Government Housing available.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $71,012.00 to $92,316.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0671-12/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) eligible; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A, and/or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 448228200
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R2-GP-1737924-ESEP/MP