Chesapeake Energy Corporation Sr. Compressor Mechanic in Dilley, Texas
Our core values — integrity and trust, respect, transparency and open communication, commercial focus and change leadership — are the lens through which we evaluate every business decision. As a dynamic, growing company that offers extremely competitive compensation and benefits, our employees are our most valued assets and the foundation of Chesapeake’s performance among our E&P competitors.
Sr. Compressor Mechanics will assist in setting, maintaining, repairing and operating compressors in their respective area for MidCon. They will also assist with preventive maintenance on all equipment within their assigned area. Sr. Compressor Mechanics will be the point of contact on special projects, coordinating the needs of the project and efforts with co-workers as directed by the supervisor using cost-effective measures.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Read gas meters and instrumentation, record the amounts of gas received/delivered/consumed and report any operational, temperature and pressure changes as needed in operating logs. Watch gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure equipment is working properly.
- Adjust valves and equipment to obtain specified performance.
- Operate power-driven pumps that transfer liquids, semi-liquids, gases or powdered materials. This includes adding these materials on the equipment and properly disposing of them.
- Operate controls and turn valves to start compressor engines, pumps and auxiliary equipment.
- Turn knobs or switches to regulate pressures.
- Respond to problems by troubleshooting, diagnostic testing (utilizing computer software as applicable), repairing/adjusting equipment as needed, conferring with co-workers and supervisors for advice and other techniques as learned in the classroom and field. Ability to determine the most cost-effective/timely/efficient method for repairs.
- Take oil samples, complete necessary paperwork and submit for laboratory analysis.
- Review analyzer reports, oil analysis, coolant analysis, performance analysis and equipment operating reports using the information within to determine repair needs per unit.
- Perform equipment inspections dictated by Lube Oil Sample Reports.
- Inspect field equipment within assigned area on a regular basis to ensure operating parameters are met.
- Perform a proper preventative maintenance and repair, maintain and operate the equipment using hand tools and power tools in a safe manner.
- Responsible for, and coordination of, major mechanical work including, but not limited to, engine head changes and overhauls.
- Report any major or repetitive mechanical problems per unit to the area Superintendent.
- Maintain replacement/repair parts for their assigned units using cost-effective ordering and utilization of supplies.
- Properly set units and perform start-up procedures on location.
- Safely and properly assist in disassembly and removal of unit from location.
- Ensure field equipment is operating under current emissions guidelines/standards.
- Submit parts covered under warranty, track/report parts sent for warranty and ensure core credits are received and returned when applicable.
- Available for call-outs (evenings/nights, weekends and holidays) as shifts require and travel as needed (work on units, training, etc – may be overnight, days, week, etc). Employee must be willing to work overtime as needed/required.
- Assist compressor mechanics when on vacation or ill by covering assigned units within their area.
- All duties are to be performed in accordance with Chesapeake’s Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines.
- Other related duties as required. EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Ability to read and write English.
- Moderate ability to understand wiring/piping schematics.
- 5+ years equivalent mechanical work experience with industrial engines and compressors.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Vocational or Technical Educational Certification in related field preferred.
- 5+ years equivalent mechanical work experience with industrial engines and compressors preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Demonstrate basic computer knowledge through effective use of a company computer (when applicable) including Microsoft Office applications. Able to learn company specific applications.
- Communicate information effectively with all levels of co-workers by telephone, written form, e-mail or in person. Maintain daily communication with supervisors in assigned area.
- Operate vehicles in accordance with company policies and procedures in a safe and courteous manner. Current, valid driver’s license is required to operate company vehicles. See policy for specific details.
- Employee will be required to furnish basic hand tools required for typical use in the field (up to 1 ½” drive for tools listing measurements), confer with hiring manager on tools required. Specialty tools and those over 1 ½” may be supplied by the company upon approval of Superintendent or District Manager.
- Ability to use hand tools to clean, lubricate, adjust equipment, replace filters, gaskets and other items while identifying what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Must be able to comprehend and retain new policies, procedures and methods/techniques used in the office and field, being flexible to work in a changing environment. Must show progress/advancement in their skill level and application of knowledge.
- Working knowledge of pneumatic and electric starters, fuel systems, cooling systems, lubrication systems, ignition systems and other compression related anatomy.
- Working knowledge of electrical systems.
- Understand the basic operations of production equipment such as separators, dehydrators, etc.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment focusing on teamwork and unity.
- Ability to teach others skills in an effective and cooperative manner.
- Exhibit leadership skills and lead by example.
- Ability to assess and anticipate requirements. Prioritization, reasoning and time management skills required.
- Position requires responsible, dependable and trustworthy employees due to typical independent working conditions. Employees will be required to report time worked and be held accountable for their actions. Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Job requires maintaining composure, avoiding aggressive behavior (even in very difficult situations). Employees must exhibit cooperative skills by being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured attitude.
- Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Position requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Ability to identify and respond to hazardous/unsafe working conditions and report to immediate supervisor.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Working knowledge of arithmetic and algebra. Basic knowledge of geometry and other mathematical applications.
- Basic welding skills (some openings may require higher levels of training and a skills test to be performed prior to hire).
- Experience with modern engines and compressors used in the natural gas industry.
- Mechanical experience.
- Some positions/duties may require the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
Chesapeake Energy takes necessary action to ensure that all applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Our commitment to responsibly developing oil and natural gas in the Lone Star State begins with minimizing our environmental impact. We recycle produced water wherever possible using our Aqua Renew program and focus on collaborative, sustainable solutions to protect Texas resources. With growing operations from the Eagle Ford to the Barnett, we are among the state’s top three producers of oil and natural gas. Our investment in the communities where we live and work are also about people, and we proudly employ Texans and contract with Texas businesses.
Nearest Major Market: San Antonio
Job Segment: Mechanic, Electrical, Instrumentation, Sustainability, Testing, Operations, Engineering, Energy, Technology