General Motors Wireless E2E Lead Systems Engineer - GCC0001115 in Detroit, Michigan
About GCCX and Vehicle & System Operation:
At GCCX, we don’t just build great cars, trucks and crossovers. We design the customer mobility experience. We are developing cutting edge technology on next generation infotainment systems and in-vehicle connectivity. This technology is a key enabler to things like smarter car sharing programs, more advanced active safety and even autonomous driving. The Vehicle and System Operations team and its members operate world’s largest 4G LTE network in the automotive industry, supporting millions of connected vehicles and their services. We make sure that system performance can support business objectives. We drive continuous improvement that directly contributes to GM’s bottom line.
About the End to End Wireless Systems Engineer role:
This position is responsible for ensuring the systems used to provide GM connected vehicle services are operating and functioning properly and the services are delivered successfully to all active subscribers. This role is highly technical and requires deep understanding of modern telematics system interactions and identifying data elements within these systems that can be used evaluate wireless performance within the end to end system.
The person in this role will work cross-functionally and globally to collaborate with business/product owners, IT development and operations, engineering, and quality teams, to ensure flawless end to end performance for our subscribers. The selected responsibilities would include performing technical validation/analysis, developing system service level objectives for global initiatives, defining requirements for new product launches, detailing technical/validation steps and building analytical tools.
- Fully understand & document system work flows, associated back-end interactions, and entire eco-system, including the wireless network elements used to deliver connected vehicle services.
- Investigate end-to-end system performance and customer experience issues and applying sound technical judgment to data for the develop of system remedies
- Identify current containment systems in place, build and execute a plan to remove.
- Ensure adequate system requirements are documented for changes to the system platforms by maintaining a close working relationship with IT, Service Delivery, and Engineering departments
- Effectively lead, motivate and facilitate others in group situations and instruct others to improve system and customer performance in the connected car environment
- High level of analytical ability to assess and identify appropriate alternative courses of action for definition and resolution where problems are complex
- Establish program monitoring to ensure agreed upon customer expectations will be achieved
- Design and develop performance metrics that represent E2E service delivery performance
- Critically evaluate customer performance issues and design or leverage existing tools to mitigate customer experience impacts.
- Design, develop, and implement desktop applications and/or processes to automate routine tasks as necessary to facilitate analysis activities.
- Ability to prioritize work with only limited direction from supervisor
- Prepare and present project plans, status reports, and cost/benefit analysis to leadership.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, call 866-583-8151 or email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent Engineering or related degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a lead technical role
- 3+ years of experience in wireless industry, related to CDMA, GSM, UMTS and LTE technologies
- Experience in automotive systems and software development
- Proficiency using and interacting with relational database structures and working knowledge of SQL
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work independently and effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals
- Excellent Communication and Cross Functional Team Building Skills
- Proficiency with MS Access/Office suite including proficiency developing advanced processes and applications for the desktop
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex and difficult
- Demonstrate technical and professional skills related to the use of LTE, UMTS, or other wireless technologies.
- Demonstrate the key network elements in 2G, 3G and 4G wireless network and the functionality associated with each network node
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical experience in a related technical field
Direct experience at GM in one or more of the following areas:
- Issue resolution
- Product validation
- Process definition
Strong Database skills and significant SQL query development experience
- Prior experience with vehicle infotainment, telematics, or navigation systems
- Experience using problem solving techniques such as Six Sigma, Lean, ISO 900X, SPICE, or others.
- Strong experience in testing and debugging End-to-End 3GPP wireless device call and data session performance in live networks, with tools such as QXDM and Wireshark.