General Motors Senior Financial Analyst - FIN0007393 in Detroit, Michigan
The Senior Financial Analyst will work closely with the GM employee benefits accounting manager for the ASC 712 Compensation - Non-Retirement Postemployment Benefits & Incentive Compensation. The Senior Analyst will be responsible for the accounting associated with various incentive compensation and nonretirement postemployment benefit plans, as well as the associated analyses. Job responsibilities will involve collaboration with other departments, such as Global Compensation and Employment Cost Analysis. Senior Analyst is expected to become the subject matter expert in area of responsibility. Work involves a high level of independent judgment, decision-making, accuracy, creativity and initiative.
- Prepare and analyze various monthly journal entries, account reconciliations and analytics
- Assess whether significant accounting events occur as a result of management decisions or workforce events. Research and provide interpretations of technical accounting guidance. Document findings in a memo to support accounting treatment for significant transactions
- Provide and maintain support documentation for approval of accounting work and ongoing internal controls testing
- Prepare analysis of financial statements for applicable benefit area and sections of public filings, government filings and press releases
- Review spreadsheet files for strict adherence to spreadsheet controls (includes reviews for mathematical accuracy, formula usage, appropriate cross-referencing, etc.)
- Identify/correct inconsistent data, solve problems and develop new methods of analysis
- Identify, interpret and analyze potential accounting risks and issues
- Review processes and identify opportunities for improvement to improve efficiency and reduce the risk of error
- Provide internal and/or external financial analysis, consultation and decision support
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data or complex problems of various types
- Develop new methods of analysis and methods of data presentation (charts, graphs, etc.)
- Develop and present data to other members of the organization
- Maintain frequent contact and perform various financial activities with others outside the work group, including Global Compensation, Finance, Global Business Services, external auditors, SOX auditors, Operations & Consolidations, GM Tax Staff, etc.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an EqualEmployment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Basic Required skills:
- Degree in Accounting and CPA or equivalent experience/ training - active license holder
- Highly proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Outlook
- High attention to detail
- Embrace and manage change
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical abilities where problems are complex
- High levels of initiative, creativity, independent judgment and decision making
- Strong interpersonal skills and strong oral and written skills
- Ability to network and collaborate cross-functionally
- Solid understanding of internal controls
- Ability to prioritize assignments/projects and multi-task within restricted time constraints
- Minimum 3-5 years accounting experience
Basic Preferred Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP
- Previous Public Accounting experience (minimum 2 years)
- Technical accounting knowledge and experience with employee benefits, particularly stock-based compensation, earnings per share, benefit valuation actuarial techniques and terminology, and HR issues
- Understand various employee benefit programs such as healthcare, defined contribution, defined benefit, workers' compensation, life insurance, vacation, fringe benefits, etc.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Corporate/unit policies and procedures
Competencies: Functional / Technical Skills, Time management, Drive for Results, Integrity and Trust, Learning on the Fly