General Motors Legal Project Manager - LEG0000550 in Detroit, Michigan
The Litigation Department of General Motors seeks an experienced legal project management professional to utilize legal project management principles to assist the litigators with managing significant lawsuits and claims efficiently, on time, and on budget.This position will be responsible for budgeting, workflow, and project management activities in partnership with the GM attorneys.It will also involve interacting with outside counsel and eDiscovery partners.
Project Scoping, Planning, and Budget Development
- Develop project plans, estimate the resources needed to achieve project goals and provide input in budget creation.
- Assist legal teams in defining scope, goals and deliverables.
- Develop project calendaring, timeline, and milestone development.
- Analyze information from past cases to better predict budget of new matters.
Project Management and Reporting
- Work with attorneys managing litigation mattersto ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget, and at high quality.Compare actuals to budget.Help forecast spend.
- Monitor task completion by outside and in-house counsel and provide on-going project updates to ensure that projects meet expectations.
- Manage the use of task codes by outside counsel; help to ensure that proper task codes are being used on time entry and that time entry policies for the matter are being followed.
- Communicate with outside counsel on task completion and budget information.
- Develop project documentation and reports, including preparation of project financial analysis and project metrics.
- Create necessary reports, including meeting reporting needs of various stakeholders.
- Ensure coordination at the end of matters to facilitate effective completion and after-action reviews.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.
- Highly professional with a strong customer service orientation, commitment to meeting deadlines, and ability to multitask in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Must understand project management methodology and be able to adapt it to suit the needs of a legal/professional services environment, including with legal teams relatively new to legal project management principles.
- Sufficient understanding of litigation to be able to efficiently project manage litigation matters.
- Experience in managing large projects with complex variables and budgets.
- Comfortable working collaboratively with attorneys, paralegals, and other legal personnel handling large litigation matters.
- Needs to be a self-starter with a positive attitude, persistence, and determination, while still being collaborative.
- Skilled at researching, collecting, manipulating, and analyzing data.
- Excellent ability to organize resources and establish priorities; must be detail-oriented.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, including Excel, and financial and data information systems.
- Willing to question assumptions and propose alternative solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Build effective relationships and networks, internally and externally.
Education, Certifications, and/or Experience
- Three plus years of project management experience within a professional services environment.
- Legal experience preferred, whether as a legal project manager, paralegal, or attorney.
- Formal project management qualification preferred, such as PMP.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Familiarity with Lean/Six Sigma project/process management principles desirable.
- Corporate legal department or large law firm experience preferred.