General Motors Labor and Employment Counsel - LEG0000516 in Detroit, Michigan
Overview: This role is within the Employment Benefits and Workplace SafetySection of the Company’s Legal Staff.The Employment and Labor Attorney –Labor/HR will provide legal advice and counsel in a variety of employmentmatters while supporting several global functions, including Manufacturing andHuman Resources. A person in this role also will provide day-to-daysupport on general employment matters as well as related labor and employmentlitigation, including the supervision of outside counsel.
Specificresponsibilities of the role include—
- Providing legal adviceon labor and employment matters, including collective bargaining, NLRB, FLSA,and WARN Act.
- Handling administrativeclaims and actions.
- Assisting in review anddevelopment of Company employment and labor policies, procedures, and programs.
- Actively participatingin development and support for collective bargaining strategies, compliancestrategies, and lawful and effective implementation of business initiatives.
- Supporting businesstransactions that involve labor and employment issues.
- Managing labor andemployment litigation and consultation with internal and external legal counselon litigation and policy matters, including workers compensation andunemployment compensation matters.
- Drafting and presentingclient training on labor and employment issues.
- Responding to day-to-dayemployee relations and personnel issues and providing guidance andrecommendations for problem resolution.
- Supporting resolution ofEEOC, OFCCP, and similar State and local agency claims and charges.
- Providing support onImmigration, Payroll, and Compensation issues.
Maintaining andsupporting a culture of legal compliance.
Lawdegree and license to practice law in Michigan, or ability to obtain admissioninto Michigan State Bar within one (1) year of employment.
- Threeto six years of legal experience focused on traditional labor and employmentmatters with a national law firm and/or corporate law department.
- Initiative,integrity, resilience, and ability to manage projects.
- Strongcommunication (written and oral) skills.
- Abilityto present information and reports to management timely, clearly, andconcisely.
- Collaborative,with a strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partnerwith others up and down a matrixed organization.
The policy of GeneralMotors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on anequal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion,national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression orveteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an EqualEmployment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekersincluding individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodationto assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description ofthe specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title andrequisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.