General Motors Intern/Co-op - Health Services - HUM0004413 in Detroit, Michigan
General Purpose of Position :
The Nurse Intern position is a paid position for students currently enrolled in an accredited Nursing program (Bachelors or Masters) within a year or two of graduation. Internship will focus on aspects of Occupational Health.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- All duties in an occupational clinic will be performed under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse. This may include, but is not limited to; assisting with emergency response, providing first aid, administering vaccines/medications, collecting specimens through noninvasive means (e.g. urine or hair sample), performing and evaluating various clinical and diagnostic tests, assisting the plant physician with minor surgical procedures, offering health counseling, interview employees, documentation of care in an electronic medical record, conducting work site health hazard assessments, and collaboration with multidisciplinary team members to promote worker health and safety.
- Maintain accurate records related to OSHA, Workers' Compensation and corporate reporting.
- In addition to the duties listed above, Master's Degree interns may also participate in, but are not limited to: planning, implementing, monitoring, evaluating occupational health and safety programs; coordination of surveillance, qualification, and work place substance abuse programs; preparing business reports for management; attending core meetings with the medical supervisor, assessment of OSHA regulatory compliance; and the development of health and wellness educational materials.
- Adheres to established GM Health Center Core principles, as well as all policy and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Performs all job duties in a safe manner with respect to the safety of self and others.
- Interfaces with health services' customers in a knowledgeable and professional manner.
- Equipment and supplies maintained, monitored, and malfunctions reported to nursing supervisor.
- Uses time management and flexibility in organizing and prioritizing workload to provide optimal service to the medical department and business.
- Conducts special projects or investigations.
- Support Health Service Leaders and Team Members.
- Demonstrates oral and written communication skills, leadership and high level of initiative.
- Thinks critically, utilizes sound independent judgment and promptly reports potential risks.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with others.
- Preferred academic majors - Nursing (enrolled in Bachelors or Masters degree program).
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 demonstrated ability in area of study.
- Proficient in MS Windows, Office and related software programs.
- Certificates Required: Valid CPR Card.
- Nurse Licensure (State of MI) preferred (Masters degree candidates)
Locations: Assignment will primarily be based in Warren at the GM Warren Technical Center or Detroit at the GM World Headquarters or at a Manufacturing location based in Southeast Michigan. Sample locations include:
- Bay City/Saginaw, MI.
- Orion, MI.
- Flint, MI.
- Grand Blanc, MI.
- Lansing, MI.
- Pontiac, MI.
- Detroit, MI.
- Warren, MI.
- Romulus, MI.
Relocation: Must be willing to relocate for assignment. Housing may be provided based on program guidelines.
- Some travel may be required.
- Must have own transportation.
- Please only apply if you do not need sponsorship to work in the United States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.