General Motors Counsel, Breach of Warranty - LEG0000549 in Detroit, Michigan
The General Motors Legal Staff is looking for an experienced Breach of Warranty Counsel to manage breach of warranty cases and claims.The attorney will be part of the Product Litigation team located in Detroit, and will manage breach of warranty cases and interact with outside counsel from different regions of the United States.
Day-to-day management of breach of warranty lawsuits and claims.Responsibilities will include the following:
- Evaluate breach of warranty lawsuits and claims to determine course of action.
- Assign outside counsel based on allegation, region, fee arrangement and GM policies.
- Work with GM claims administrator, discovery team, engineering resources, and outside counsel on evaluation of claims and identification of any engineering safety issues.
- Work with outside counsel on the development of strategies for particular cases.
- Work with discovery team on responses to discovery and document collection and review.
- Timely review case evaluations, briefs, and motions.
- Evaluate cases to determine settlement value or trial recommendations.Work with outside counsel on trial preparation.
- Review and process legal bills for counsel in assigned system and ensure that matters are managed within budget.
- Develop or review reports and data related to breach of warranty docket.
- Depending on case load, may also support product litigation cases through case evaluation and case management.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (top tier law schools preferred) and license to practice law in Michigan, or ability to obtain admission into Michigan State Bar within one year of employment.
- Minimum 6 years of substantive experience as a breach of warranty attorney.Prior in-house experience is not required.
Experience should include the following:
Preparation of answers, motions, and case evaluations.
- Arguing motions before the court.
- eDiscovery, including overseeing document collection and production.
- Trial experience in breach of warranty cases would be a plus.
- Experience with California’s Song-Beverly Act would be advantageous.
Automotive breach of warranty claim experience desirable.
Ability to interact with individuals throughout the organization and outside counsel and other advisors in a professional and business-like manner, including to collaborate, build relationships, and gain credibility.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously from inception to completion and achieve goals.
- Ability to present information, cases, or analyzes to management timely, clearly, and concisely.
- Detail-oriented, analytical, technical, yet flexible, self-motivated, and big-picture minded.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to high standards of quality and ethics.
- Proven ability to act as a guardian through speaking up to say what needs to be said, providing complete, direct, and actionable feedback to others, faces up to problems quickly and directly, shares all key information with management to enable them to make well-informed decisions.
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a highly functioning Product Litigation team to defend the company and act as an important contributor on issues of vehicle safety.