City and County of Denver Accounting Technician II - OED in Denver, Colorado
Hiring Range: $18.84 - $23.17/hr.
The Office of Economic Development is looking for an Accounting Technician II to perform specialized technical, administrative, and fiscal functions and activities. The position requires detailed knowledge within the functional area. This position's duties include the ability to review and audit payment requests for contracts, wage subsidy, tuition and books, general accounts payable such as office supply purchase and others. Additionally this individual will maintain a full set of financial records including summarizing accounting data and preparing financial reports.
The Denver Office of Economic Development (OED) is a driving force that advances economic prosperity for the City of Denver, its businesses, neighborhoods and residents through purposeful and intentional economic development that: (1) broadens the tax base; (2) stimulates balanced economic growth through business assistance, neighborhood revitalization and the development of a skilled workforce; and (3) focuses on innovation, sustainability and education. Workforce Development exists to provide services that connects job seekers and employers in the Denver Metropolitan area.
Interested? At the City and County of Denver and OED you can apply your expertise and contribute directly to the City. Please review the required qualifications and submit your application/resume for consideration by clicking the 'Apply' button at the top of this posting and/or visit www.denvergov.org/jobs.
- Performs complex accounting transactions, which includes preparing specialized reports, auditing records, performing three way match exceptions for invoices (vouchers, purchase order, and receipt), researching improperly processed paperwork, working with client groups to reconcile discrepancies and assist with technical issues, researching variances, tracking and verifying expenditures, and ensures accuracy and compliance of financial transactions.
- Works with stakeholders both internal and external to the City, responds to inquiries, provides complex information and technical assistance with regard to accounting information and transactions, which includes the status of accounts, payments, issuance of checks, and available balances.
- Examines and reviews complex accounting records and reports to ensure accuracy of fiscal documents and reports with regard to invoices, payments, contract rates and terms, vendor licensing, internal billing and reimbursements, and property taxes.
- Processes invoices and tracks expenditures to support the procurement of goods and services, matches documents and invoices with contract rates and terms, and ensures accounts are properly coded and funds are available for payments.
- Creates and sets-up new vendors files within financial systems, makes changes to existing vendor files based on contract terms and agreements, and ensures that vendors meet legal requirements for contractual services.
- Ensures compliance and consistency with fiscal rules and regulations, identifies inaccuracies, reconciles discrepancies, and recommends corrective action within scope of work.
- Researches variances in financial reports and statements to determine possible causes and recommends corrective actions.
- Prepares, maintains, and assists professional accountants with accounting records and reports, which includes journals, ledgers, trail balances, balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements.
- Reconciles cash and credit statements, prepares bank deposit slips, allocates funds to appropriate accounts, verifies deposits with bank statements, records financial information in accounting systems, and prepares reports.
- Prepares and assists professional accountants with the preparation of complex and specialized accounting reports, statements, and documents, which includes gathering and organizing information and data.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Qualifications
*Education Requirement: *Graduate of high school or the possession of a GED Certificate.
*Experience Requirement: *Three years of experience performing financial recordkeeping, reconciliation of accounting discrepancies, and making journal and ledger entries.
*Education & Experience Equivalency: *Additional appropriate education may be substituted for one year of the minimum experience requirement.
*Preferred Qualifications: *
- Accounting experience with Federal Grant Management
- Demonstrated ability to process invoices with a high degree of accuracy
- Intermediate/Advanced Excel skills and good analytical skills
- Excellent data entry and problem solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to be a team player and support others in achieving departmental goals
- Decision making skills (decisive)
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to new processes as required Additional Information
Please Note: You will no longer receive communications via e-mail or regular mail regarding your application status. Please check your status throughout your application process by clicking HERE.
Classification Title: Accounting Technician II CV2359 Pay Grade: 614-V Compensation Range: $18.84 - $27.50 Hourly Hiring Range: $18.84 - $23.17 hourly Agency: Office of Economic Development To Apply: Please select the apply button at the top of this posting / visit: www.denvergov.org/jobs
Assessments / Testing: This position may require an online or in-person assessment. If testing is required, you will receive an email from AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org with further information about the testing process after the position has closed. Please add AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org to your safe sender list and check you spam or junk mail for this email. For a list of positions that require testing and more information about our testing process, click here.
Pre-employment Screening: An offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by law and City and County of Denver policies, including the successful completion of a background check. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and other verifications required for the position which may include, but are not limited to, employment and/or education verification, motor vehicle record check, drug test, and/or physical. The existence of a conviction does not automatically disqualify an individual from employment except where federal or state law or regulations prohibit employment of an individual with certain convictions. For more information about the selection and employment screening process, click here.
Probationary Period: This position may require the selected candidate to complete at least a six month probationary period prior to attaining career status with the City & County of Denver. For more information about the probationary period, click here.
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
BB/AF We offer a very competitive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision Plans (multiple programs)
- Paid Time Off (combined vacation/sick leave)
- Paid Holidays
- Retirement (Pension Plan & 457 Deferred Comp Plan)
- Flex Spending Account
- RTD EcoPass Discounts
- Life Insurance; Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Domestic Partner Programs
- Wellness Center #ZR
Salary: $18.84 - $27.50 Hourly
Job Type: Unlimited Regular
Job Number: 28506 15181
Location: Denver, CO
Department: Office of Economic Development (OED)
Closing: 12/14/2016 11:59 PM Mountain