Travis County Texas Building Maintenance Supervisor in Del Valle, Texas
Supervises and coordinates staff and activities related to building maintenance, custodial and security functions. Develops and implements routine and preventive maintenance schedules, coordinates schedules and assignments, assists in and evaluates staff job performance and ensures functions are performed in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, codes, policies and procedures. Serves as a technical advisor and may perform the most complex maintenance and repair duties, including those involving heating and air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, roof, closed circuit television, electronic entry and other security systems, and fire protection systems.
This is a job classification within the Maintenance job family. This classification is responsible for performing supervisory and administrative duties overseeing subordinate building maintenance, custodial and security staff and related functions. This classification typically reports to a higher level facilities manager. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and coordinates building and equipment maintenance, custodial and security functions, activities and staff. Schedules and assigns the work activities of subordinate staff. Interviews, hires, trains, develops and evaluates employee performance. Counsels employees as necessary to improve performance.
- Oversees the operation, maintenance and general repair of security, air conditioning, heating, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and fire protection systems. Develops or assists in developing and implementing routine and preventative maintenance schedules for facility and security systems. May assist in developing equipment specifications.
- Supervises inspections of and makes recommendations for building maintenance, custodial and security systems replacements and upgrades. Maintains an adequate inventory of materials and equipment used in the maintenance and repair of facilities and security systems. Orders new stock, as required.
- Responds to building maintenance and security incidents, inquiries and concerns. Reports to higher level management, as required, and maintains records of issues. Assists in completing building maintenance and security related reports.
- Serves as a technical advisor and may perform the most complex maintenance and repair duties, including those involving heating and air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, roof, closed circuit television, electronic entry and other security systems, and fire protection systems.
- Manages the key systems. Ensures building security is maintained, procedures are followed for issuance and return of keys and related databases are maintained for tracking purposes. Conducts assessments on proper lighting, fencing, key control and surveillance systems.
- Identifies projects to be completed by outside contractors. Coordinates all contracted projects on assigned facility systems. Assists in the development of maintenance/construction/security service contracts. Provides technical quality assurance inspections and monitors performance of external service contracts.
- Proposes organizational modifications to meet changing needs of the department. Assists in or develops building maintenance, custodial and security policies, procedures, plans and standards. Provides input into annual budget for building maintenance, custodial and security requirements.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND five (5) years of increasingly responsible building maintenance experience, including two (2) years of supervisory experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Refrigerant Certification/Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Certification. Valid Texas Driver's License. Jailer License must be obtained within one (1) year of date of hire sponsored by employer.
Three (3) to five (5) years supervisory experience in HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing or Locksmith with certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
Applicable safety practices and regulations. Skill in:
Supervising building maintenance, custodial and security operations.
- Carpentry, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations, and machine servicing.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and performing building maintenance and security functions.
- Reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints.
- Monitoring outside vendors and related contracts.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Supervise, motivate, train, develop and evaluate staff.
- Plan, schedule and oversee building maintenance, custodial and security functions.
- Read and interpret documents, such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Safely and correctly apply building and equipment maintenance and repair techniques, and operate tools and equipment.
- Monitor security systems, recognize and report repairs, and assess security risks and dangers.
- Evaluate conditions and recommend effective technical solutions.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks, and organize and prioritize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, vendors and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 50 pounds/carry up to 25 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM; Monday through Friday
Location: 3518 South FM 973, Del Valle This position requires successful candidate work within a secure Jail facility.
Physical Exam Required Drug and Alcohol Test Required Typing Test Required Criminal, Credit Driving and Employment Background Check Required
Salary: $39,615.06 - $49,518.98 Annually $39,615.06 - $49,518.98 Annually
Job Number: 15-03397
Location: Del Valle, TX
Closing: 12/12/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.