Indian Health Service Nurse Specialist (Clinical Applications Coordinator), ESEP/MP in Crownpoint, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Crownpoint, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/11/2016 (9 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (11 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is located in the Division of Clinical Services at the Crownpoint Healthcare Facility, Crownpoint, NM. The position serves as the Nurse Specialist - Clinical Applications Coordinator (CAC), providing an advanced level of competence in nursing care and improving patient care through the use of automation tools such as the computerization of clinical information to improve the standard of direct patient care. Serves as a specialist and integrator in the implementation, training and on-going support of multi-service clinical software applications used in the hospital and clinic setting. This position reports to the Clinical Director, Medical Staff Department.
- Uses the multi-service clinical software applications used in the hospital and clinic setting; uses of the multi-service applications that support the Indian Health Service Electronic Health Record (EHR) and the Resource Patient Management System (RPMS) are defined as but not limited to Patient Care Component (PCC), Meaningful Use (MU), Text-Integration Utility (TIU), Case management, Health Summary and View Patient Record (VRP).
- Consults with the service lines and their staff in customizing software and training individuals in the daily operations of the packages as well as how the packages integrate with each other; works with other application coordinators for the implementation of a comprehensive, standardized integrated health care information system to support the clinical software packages.
- Plans, develops, implements, coordinates, and evaluates the designated EHR program . Manages the customization of the site parameters and addresses integration issues with other software pakages; reviews site parameters for accuracy and completeness; coordinates implementation of new software products obtained by the facility that cover these functions.
- Analyzes and evaluates processes to information flow and serves as a liaison between service units; assists staff in the efficient use of the current software; serves on the service unit teams as determined by management.
- Promotes an awareness of the importance of data validity, data security, and complies with all Privacy Act, HIPPA rules, and computer related policies and procedures; coordinates efforts to correct deficiencies and errors that occur in EHR; provides training to end-users on current software applications as needed.
- Manages Meaningful Use (MU) activities to help to improve the quality, safety and efficiency of patient health care.
- Performs comprehensive professional nursing duties for the care of patients.
- Occasional Travel
- To surrounding satellite clinics, service units, area office and outside the Navajo Region for meetings, trainings, etc.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid only if you are a current Federal Employee. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Professional Nursing Licensure
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks: Professional nursing knowledge and training to develop EHR templates, tabs, forms and sections to ensure that the Electronic Health Record (EHR) automatically leads nurses, providers, and other health professionals to meet standards for medical documentation. Comprehensive knowledge of the software involved and determining procedural issues related to software application packages; understanding the service unit's systems including, but not limited to: billing process; how coding of procedures and diagnosis relate to the visit, knowledge of Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA) and immunization and diabetes standard.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, October 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
Government Housing - upon availability.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may be authorized. At least one year service agreement will be required. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- The incumbent is required to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, a valid State driver's license is required.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $80,731.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-12/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: ESEP/MP: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) eligible; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A, and/or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 452966300
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CR-1813836-ESEP/MP