Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse (Inpatient) DHA, GS-04/05/07/09 OC in Crownpoint, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
3 vacancies in the following location:
- Crownpoint, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 2/9/2016 (259 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-CR-1613335-ESEP/MP VA number; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered. The purpose of this position is to perform a wide variety of Nursing tasks and duties associated with maintaining and supporting the work performed within the organization. Such work includes functions necessary to provide efficient care of patients; to support and consult with Medical Staff personnel of the Service Unit and patient families. This position is located in the Inpatient Department at the Crownpoint Healthcare Facility in Crownpoint, NM. The position will be reporting to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse for the Inpatient Nursing.
This position is located in the Inpatient Med/Peds Nursing Department under the Division of Nursing Services of the Crownpoint Healthcare Facility, Crownpoint, NM.
- As a member of the health care team, performs nursing duties for the care of inpatients.
- Develops individualized patients care plans or participates in patient care planning which involves the assessment and evaluation of patient needs; determines procedures and practice to be included with periodic evaluation of plans to insure that intended results are being achieved.
- Interviews patient and family member(s) and consults with attending physician(s), other staff member(s) to determine and evaluate the kind of health and physical care needed.
- Reviews and interprets finding to distinguish between normal and abnormal conditions; carries out treatment and emergency or other procedures required; administers medications; observes and documents patients conditions, changes and reactions to medications and medical treatment.
- Maintains health records by documenting observations, nursing interventions and therapeutic measures administered.
- When assigned as team leader, provides guidance, direction and training to ancillary nursing and other personnel.
- Provides counseling and teaching to patients and families or surrogates on preventive, curative and rehabilitative measures involved in health care.
- Initiates patients referrals when necessary to maintain continuity of patient care; participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of standards of care, CQI Assurance and Infection Control activities.
- Maintains professional knowledge and proficiency in nursing through continuing education staff meetings, workshops, and serving on nursing committees
- Occasional Travel
- Incumbent is required to operate a government-owned lease or private vehicle in the performance of assigned duties. A valid state driver's license is required and must be maintained.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid only if you are a current Federal Employee. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Valid and unrestricted Registered Nurse Licensure
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
You must meet all of the BASIC REQUIREMENTS listed below:
Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
An active, unrestricted registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition to the above, you must also meet the following minimum requirements for the grade level you wish to be considered for:
GS-4: Completion of a program of less than 30 months duration OR associate degree OR 1 year of nursing experience as a military corpsman.
GS-5: Completion of a program of less than 30 months duration OR associate degree OR 1 year of professional nursing OR at least GS-4 level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of a professional nurse OR completion of a program of at least 30 months duration OR 4 academic years above high school OR bachelor's degree.
GS-7: Completion of a professional nursing program OR 1 year of experience equivalent to at least GS-5 level OR 1 full year of graduate education OR bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-9: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level. Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. For example, specialized experience includes professional nursing care principles, practices and procedures in order to assess patient needs which involves consideration of physical, spiritual and psycho/socio-cultural aspects of health care and the ability to use this information to develop an individualized nursing care plan; knowledge of health records aspects of patient care, disease entities, pharmaceuticals, human behavior and ability to recognize adverse signs and symptoms which are not always apparent and to react promptly in emergency situations including the implementation of life saving procedures. LICENSURE: Applicants will be required to verify they possess a current, valid, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth or Puerto Rico, or a Territory of the United States.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain nursing staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least 6 month service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP):
The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC - http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepyament/
For HRSA - http://www/hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
This position has promotion potential to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at managements discretion and is base don your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
Government Housing - Upon Availbility
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Alternative work schedule, call back, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $43,785.00 to $69,936.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-04/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 429173700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CR-1613051-DHA