FacilitySource HVAC Boiler Technician in Creston, Iowa
FLSA STATUS: Full time/Non-exempt LOCATION:Creston, Iowa REPORTS TO: Director, HVAC/R Solutions TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 0%
POSITION SUMMARY: Working under minimum supervision and following all and OSHA safety standards, while performing troubleshooting procedures, preventive, predictive, corrective, and repair maintenance activities on commercial and industrial heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HVAC&R;) equipment; steam and hot water boilers and boiler support equipment including water treatment systems; Compressed air compressors and compressed air distribution and control equipment. Assists in installing, testing, and commissioning new commercial and industrial equipment. Repairs and maintains other electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems and components as requested in support of building and production operations. Researches, orders, and maintains parts and tool inventories. May operates an assigned company vehicle. Follows company policies and procedures while working at remote customer locations.
- Works independently with minimum supervision to accomplish assigned tasks
- Performs all tasks following industry Best Practices, OSHA safe work standards, and in compliance with applicable codes.
- Adheres to the highest standards of ethics during interaction with customers, vendors, suppliers, fellow employees, and the general public.
- Takes direction from customer requests and work orders following established procedures.
- Works from manufacturer’s operating manuals, plans, schematics, experience, oral instructions and/or applies knowledge of equipment to devise appropriate repairs for each work order. May confer with service representatives and others as necessary to accomplish installations or repairs.
- Prepares labor hour, part, and material estimates for repairs that exceed the approved NTE for submission to the customer for approval. Obtains product information and prices including material supplier’s name, part names, part numbers, individual and extended prices, applicable freight and taxes. Prepares purchase requisitions for parts and materials required to complete assigned work orders, tracks all expenses to the applicable work order.
- Recommends equipment replacements. Acquires equipment replacement information including the make, model number, serial number, voltage and phase, and type of heat of the existing units and the recommended units to be purchased.
- Prepares replacement equipment estimates for units beyond their useful life
- Records problems, actions taken to resolve the problems, travel time, worked hours, and part and material details on work orders to facilitate customer invoicing.
- Ensures conformance to operating and record keeping standards required, licensing and regulatory agencies and/or applicable codes.
- Follows EPA guidelines and standards for the recovery, dispensing, storing, recycling, recharging, and tracking of refrigerant.
- Safely uses a variety of hand and power tools, gauges, testing equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Completes assigned scheduled preventive and predictive maintenance inspections and tests on assigned equipment and systems.
- Knowledgeable in methods of troubleshooting HVAC&R; systems.
- Completes repair and corrective maintenance activities, ensuring all problems have been addressed and corrected, permitting the equipment to operate as efficiently and economically as possible.
- Services controls and control systems. Inspects, maintains, repairs, and conducts tests on electric, pneumatic, and hydraulic thermostatic, humidity, and pressure controllers, valve and damper actuators, motor controllers, etc.
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs ancillary system components such as fans, pumps, steam traps, filters, air compressors, etc.
- Maintains an inventory of spare parts, other supplies and equipment to assure timely availability.
- Prices and schedules lift equipment such as man-lifts and cranes when necessary for equipment access.
- Prepares equipment for disposal by recovering refrigerant and assists in removing the equipment from the building without damage to surrounding surfaces.
- Assists in installing new equipment on existing or newly installed curbs, curb adaptors, or other supports on roofs, suspended from ceilings, or at grade level.
- Repairs utility feeds to existing equipment including electrical, natural or propane gasses, water supply and drains, control systems, etc.
- Ensures any debris created during installation, service, or repair activities is removed to proper disposal locations.
- Adds chemicals to air-conditioning and heating systems as required using proper Personal Protective Equipment and safety procedures.
- Repairs, maintains, and installs hot water heating equipment including equipment used for building heat and domestic hot water.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to read, comprehend and transmit complicated and detailed instructions in order to plan and perform job duties in English.
- A comprehensive understanding of HVAC systems, refrigeration equipment, air compressors, and related plant equipment and its operation.
- Must have analytical abilities sufficient to diagnose and correct operating problems and the ability to repair same
- Must have knowledge and skill in reclaiming refrigerant and keeping regulatory paperwork on same.
Must be and remain acceptable to the customer at the location assigned. Failure to remain acceptable to the customer may result in termination. EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
A high school education plus two (2) years trade or technical school or the equivalent.