Corning Optical Systems Engineer in Concord, North Carolina
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D;, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
This is an individual position that requires strong technical curiosity across many technologies, a desire for technical leadership, and the ability to learn and share with others. This position provides measurement automation solutions to Corning’s Optical Communications business to deliver best in class optical fiber to our customers. Supports drive to fundamental process understanding and lowest cost producer objectives. Supports the development and execution of plans to evaluate new technology or improvements in existing technology resulting in a superior product in terms of quality and/or cost.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering-level production support to optical measurement equipment throughout the facility.
- Solve process issues through data analysis, experimentation, and collaboration with subject matter experts. Provide engineering expertise for fundamental understanding of manufacturing issues.
- Lead and/or provide support for projects involving cost reduction, process optimization, and new products/processes.
- Understand process quality architecture internal/external risks.
- Provide trend analysis of key metrics and implement response plans.
- Actively engage in plant safety initiatives and projects.
- Recommend/implement improvements to processes and equipment.
- Identify chronic issues and recommend corrective actions.
- Provide leadership or support for startup of new equipment lines.
- Develop and update engineering and operations documentation.
- Provide training for operations workforce regarding equipment or operations changes.
- Design experiments and analyze data to identify and implement improvements to the measurement systems or production process.
- Serve as project lead and/or technical team member on equipment deployment/development projects.
- Assure quality and repeatability of processes and products.
- Less than 5%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 40+ hours/week
Job Title: Optical Systems Engineer
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optics, or Physics
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 0-2+ years’ work experience in systems development, optical test equipment and/or manufacturing
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Knowledge of basic optics and optical systems.
- Knowledge of basic electrical systems.
- Ability to learn new technology and processes quickly.
- Ability to work in technical project teams in leadership and team member roles
- Able to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with practical judgment
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work on an independent basis in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Ability to work effectively on all levels of an organization.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Data retrieval, plotting and analysis
- Working knowledge of test equipment used to characterize various fiber optic assemblies. This can include, but is not limited to – equipment capable of measuring optical power loss, attenuation (OTDR), interferometers, and microscopy (end-face inspection) equipment.
- Experience with computer-based measurement or automation equipment setup and support
- Experience with Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility (GR&R;), Measurement System Analysis (MSA), and Measurement Uncertainty Analysis
- Experience with optical manufacturing, including assembly process & device testing
- Experience in manufacturing environment
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Minitab, or other mathematical/statistical analysis tools
- Six Sigma Green Belt or DMAIC project experience
Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong initiative
- Accountable for actions/behaviors
- Ability to work within a team environment (strong team player)
- Proven self-starter - able to effectively manage high levels of uncertainty and change
- Cross-cultural sensitivity
- Customer focused
- Organized, can multi-task
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.