GATX Manager, Commercial Administration in Chicago, Illinois
Marketing | Chicago, Illinois
GATX is known worldwide as a leader in leasing transportation assets and controls one of the largest railcar fleets in the world. The key to the long-term growth and success of GATX is attracting and retaining the most talented people from around the world. We seek individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration and dedication are deeply woven into the corporate culture.
This position is responsible for a variety of cross-functional tasks and projects, the common theme of which is that they span multiple areas of the commercial organization. Tasks will include recurring responsibilities that require focused attention on a period basis (e. g. maintenance of financial models, management of secured financings and market input on investment proposals) while projects may include non-recurring and/or ad hoc efforts.
First, when GATX's Treasury group originates a secured financing, it shall be this individual's responsibility, in conjunction with Fleet Portfolio Management, to advise them on asset selection and transaction structure to ensure that (A) the assets selected make sense to include in a secured financing from a portfolio management standpoint, and (B) the terms of such secured financing do not adversely impact GATX's portfolio management goals.
Second, this individual shall have the responsibility, in conjunction with Fleet Portfolio Management, to oversee the analysis of the option exercise (or non-exercise) decisions during and at the conclusion of any headlease. This individual will not simply react to options coming due in the immediate future, but rather will pro-actively analyze all headleases and will work with Treasury, FPM, and the Business Analysis Group to seek the optimal outcome for GATX on headlease endgames on a portfolio-wide basis.
In both of these capacities, this role will interact frequently with the VP/Directors of FPM and with individual fleet portfolio managers to ensure that commercial objectives are being met.
- Administration of JV and managed portfolio activities
- Management of the current residual sharing agreements (Sonoma Trusts)
- Product code update for both internal GATX and external North American fleet
- Asset integration resulting from secondary market acquisition
- Various reporting responsibilities
- Engage IT (as needed) to support one-time or recurring deliverables.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree required
- MBA a plus
- Railcar knowledge and familiarity required
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to understand complex information and develop concise recommendations or conclusions. Propose and influence outcomes.
- Project management
- Tactical as well as strategic thinking ability
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and change management skills
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled