BH Management Services Inc. Construction Project Manager- Chicago in Chicago, Illinois
CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGER- CHICAGO
*Join a respected industry leader in property management! *
In this position you will oversee construction projects for many of our multi-family assets.
About BH Management:
BH Management’s roots date back to 1993 when Harry Bookey formed the company with a roster of just five apartment communities. Today, our founder continues to lead the firm, serving as inspiration for its 1,600-plus employees. BH Management currently has over 220 communities spread over multiple states and is continuously growing. This ranks BH Management Services 11th out of the 50 largest management companies in the United States. What may be less obvious, however, is how we got here. Our guiding principles are simple and direct. First, invest in employees—they are the front line of our team and the foundation of our success. Second, go above and beyond to satisfy customers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Exhibits strong commitment to the service needs of the internal and external customer.
- Represents the company in a professional and courteous manner.
- Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents and effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Drafts scopes, contract documents, pay applications, close-out documents for each project.
- Researches and develops relationships with new vendors and suppliers of services ( i.e. Paint suppliers, material suppliers etc.) and nurtures current relationships with such vendors. Maintain vendor/contractor communications concerning work scheduling, billings, and vendor relations.
- Sets and continually manages project expectations with team members and other stakeholders. Identify and manage project dependencies, critical path and Timelines.
- Determines and assesses the need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments if necessary during project cycle. Where required, negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company.
- Drafts and submits budget proposals, and recommends subsequent budget changes where necessary. Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
- Plans and schedules project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools. Tracks project milestones and deliverables and develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations.
- Defines project success criteria and disseminates them to involved parties throughout project life cycle. Conducts project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Determines the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyzes results, and troubleshoot problem areas. Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans.
- Identifies and resolves issues and conflicts within the project team. Delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Directs and manages project development from beginning to end by defining the project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders. Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing and consistent basis.
- Coaches, mentors, motivates and supervises project team members and contractors and influences them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work. Communicates expectations regarding project goals and follow through on progress.
- Sets and uphold high standards of honesty for self and team members. Follows through on commitments.
- Ensures a consistent flow of communication between corporate, regional, contractors, and project staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or Maintenance and/or related work experience
- Three to five years Commercial Construction/Project Management experience required
- Proven track record of completing quality large projects on time and within budget
- Must be able to travel 40-50% of time and stay overnight and have the ability to work in an outdoor environment with exposure to the elements of nature under normal construction conditions
- A valid driver’s license may be required
- Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, draw called conclusions, and initiate appropriate course of action.
- Must effectively convey ideas, images and goals to a diverse group of personalities and be able to implement accordingly
- Thorough understanding of construction codes and OSHA safety requirements.
- Working knowledge of all sub trades
- Ability to read and understand blueprints/drawings and relevant contract documents.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, managers, subcontractors and clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Proactive, with excellent analytical and problem solving skills; ability to resolve project issues or conflicts
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Proficiency in use of a personal computer and software programs such as MS Excel, Word, and Outlook, Project Management software
- Ability to work with a diverse group pf people and customers
Physical Requirements/Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Temperature/Climate: This position will work in various indoor and outdoor environments based on the tasks that need to be completed.
*Safety Considerations: * This position will regularly use hand tools, motor-powered tools/equipment and cleaning equipment and may operate company vehicles. May work in a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions that include one or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, mold or mildew. BH requires all personnel who work with or around all chemicals and/or other substances to follow all company and industry safety standards. The worker may be required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
*Physical/Mental/Organizational Capabilities: * The individual must possess the ability to walk, stand, sit, bend, balance, climb stairs and lift, carry, push/pull a minimum of 50 pounds; maximum of 100 pounds with assistance. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is generally required to reach with hands and arms; stand; walk; squat; and use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects or controls. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. In all cases where lifting is required assistance should be requested and proper lifting equipment should be worn/used. The ability to pay attention to detail, problem solve, troubleshoot, and make decisions is required
*Personal Protective Equipment necessary: * Affected employees are required to use/wear PPE such as, safety goggles, splash shield, gloves, etc.
*Visual/Hearing Capabilities: * The visual ability necessary to read and interpret a computer screen is required. Visual acuity requirements include color, depth perception, and field vision. The worker is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles. The hearing ability necessary to communicate with others is required. The individual must be able to communicate effectively, both written and verbally, with employees and customers on all levels of the organization.
Work Schedule: The work schedule will vary to meet the needs of the project.
At BH our employees and their well-being are important to us. This is why we offer a comprehensive and valued benefits package to fit the individual needs of each employee and their family. Some of the benefits we offer include:
Your Health Plans :
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Your Career :
- Competitive compensation and earnings potential
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Training/mentoring programs
- Internal opportunities for career advancements
- Educational Reimbursement
Your Money Management :
- 401(K) Retirement Savings Plan with Company match
- Direct Deposit
Your Work Life Balance :
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holiday
Equal Opportunity Employer. Drug Free workplace. Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background check and drug screen.
Location: Corporate - Chicago
Job Code: Cont Project Manager
# of openings: 1