USM, An EMCOR Company Chiller Mechanic in Charlotte, North Carolina
About Us: Bahnson Mechanical Systems (BMS) is a major facility services provider offering a broad range of HVAC and full mechanical services to virtually every market segment within the U.S. We provide complex specialty air and mechanical systems for virtually every market segment within the U.S. Our 100 years experience gives us an unparalleled understanding of systems and operational needs.
Under the supervision of the Mechanical Shop Supervisor, the Chiller Technician (Senior HVACR Technician) safely performs tasks of the highest complexity within the installation, replacement, maintenance, service and repair of cooling systems and their associated components. The technician performs diagnostics, maintenance and service repairs on air and water cooled chillers and cooling towers as well as complex modifications of associated systems and components. The technician will receive and evaluate work orders and requests, investigate problems for solutions and complete all necessary repairs/maintenance on assigned cooling system equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Diagnoses, repairs, replaces, adjusts installs and monitors controls on chillers and associated components for various manufacturers, i.e. York, McQuay, Trane, Carrier, etc.
- Troubleshoots and repairs chillers of all types, i.e. hermetic, scroll, centrifugal, etc.
- Repairs components and performs complex modifications of mechanical, electrical and electronic systems and components, including compressors, cooling towers, motors, pumps, fans, piping, transducers, flow switches, low pressure chillers, economizers, variable speed drivers, etc.
- Uses various fault detection and diagnostic measurement tools to test and inspect equipment including, but not limited to, air flow, static pressure, fluid flow, refrigerant diagnostics and wet/dry bulb temperature.
- Assembles, tests, calibrates, and adjusts temperature control and environmental control systems such as air conditioning plants, air environmental control systems, air distribution systems and complex dual equipment cooling installations, evaporative mechanical ventilation, and dehumidification systems.
- Monitors and maintains related control systems such as pneumatic, electronic and automated direct digital controls. * Regularly monitors for proper operation of pressures and temperatures. Records observations and acts to correct deficiencies.
- Ensures mechanical systems are operating at peak efficiency by inspecting equipment for operating efficiency and safety standards.
- Installs new units and replacement parts according to OEM specifications and safety guidelines.
- Maintain logs and records to document maintenance and repair activities. Track labor, materials and supplies used and reports through the work order system.
- Performs operating inspections and evaluates equipment operating status.
- Completes reactive and preventive maintenance work orders through a computerized maintenance work order system to adjust and install HVAC components such as filters, belts, starters, circuit boards, valves, motors, fans, relays, fuses, compressors, condensers, variable frequency drives, transformers, pressure regulators, thermostats, sensors, and water pumps.
- Participates in training directed at increasing job related skills.
- Trains and mentors other assigned heating and cooling technicians as needed.
- Operates equipment through associated control panels, i.e. OptiView, AdaptiView, Carrier single line panel, etc.
- Interprets wiring diagrams in order to locate failures.
- Reviews work layout from blueprints, drawings, models, and verbal and written instructions.
- Uses a variety of hand tools, portable power tools, and standard measuring instruments.
- Responds to emergency site maintenance as required.
- Supports after hour emergencies and planned activities as directed by management.
- Operates customer and company owned motor vehicles and/or other equipment.
- Coordinates with other trade and warehouse personnel in the identification of proper and correct materials, parts assemblies, and requirements for a variety of requisitions necessary for the job/task.
- Helps to perform periodic stock inventories and prepare material requisitions for replacement items as required.
- Maintains company tools to industry and company standards.
- Supports and assists other department staff and trade groups as needed or directed.
- Adheres to the established safety and personnel policies and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to work overtime as needed * Performs other duties as assigned.
- Timely and cost effective performance of duties.
- Harmoniously working with other employees and customers.
Working with the Mechanical Shop Supervisor, other Facility Supervisors and/or Facility Manager to outline work to be done, after which incumbent is expected to work independently. MANDATORY
Ten (10) years of commercial service and maintenance experience in HVAC
- Five (5) years of actual, practical working experience as it relates to 500 ton and larger chillers and cooling towers outlined in this job description.
- Active State HVAC Journeyman License
- Active Universal CFC Certification
- Technical training for operating, maintaining and repairing chillers.
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge of cooling systems and associated components outlined in this job description.
- Ability and willingness to travel to attend training directly related to increasing job related skills.
- Ability to support after hour emergencies and planned activities as need.
- Thorough working knowledge of applicable codes and regulations.
- Familiarity with basic mathematical functions is required.
**We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. EOE M/F/Vet/Disabled
Job Title: Chiller Mechanic
Date Posted: 10/4/2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Position Id: EB-1316604839