Department of Defense - Agency Wide Aerospace Engineer in Chantilly, Virginia
Department of Defense - Agency Wide
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Chantilly, VA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (5 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (8 day(s) away)
Department of Defense (DoD) National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) Advanced Systems & Technology Directorate (AS&T;) Advanced Technology Office (ATO)
The NRO is the U.S. Government agency in charge of designing, building, launching and maintaining America's intelligence satellites. The NRO provides reconnaissance information to the Intelligence Community and the DoD warfighters. For more information see: http://www.nro.gov
DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to preference eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1200.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package. http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdffill/SF15.pdf For more information see http://dcips.dtic.mil
- This Position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601
- Selection under this appointment authority does not confer civil service competitive status.
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: This announcement is open to:
Title 10 (Public): Open to All U.S. Citizens. If you have never been a civilian federal employee you would apply public.
Merit: Open to current and former Civilian Federal employees.
All current and former Federal civilian employees must submit a copy of your latest SF50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive); or similar Notification of Personnel Action documentation, i.e., Transcript of Service, Form 1150, etc.
Employees Serviced by DLA: Civilian Federal employees who receive human resources servicing through the Defense Logistics Agency DO NOT need to submit supporting documentation if applying through merit promotion. Your record in Electronic Official Personnel Folder (e-OPF) will be used to verify your eligibility. It is your responsibility to ensure the required documents are in your e-OPF for verification purposes. If your documents are not in e-OPF, you must submit them to the announcement you are applying for at time of application. Failure to submit all of the documents on time will result in automatic disqualification.
As an Aerospace Engineer you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Leads one or more government/contractor teams to identify, analyze, define and coordinate user, customer and stakeholder needs and to translate those needs into technical or operational requirements for the research, development, production and/or procurement of process, systems, and services.
- Identifies intelligence gaps and prepares detailed specifications for intelligence collection as based on knowledge of overhead collection systems.
- Manages a multimillion dollar portfolio and serves as a Lead/Project Manager for several Integrated Project Teams (IPTs) by providing technical oversight and cost schedule management of these programs in order to produce advanced sensor technologies that will dramatically increase reconnaissance capability in space.
- Develops overall analytical objectives, project scope and emphasis through an assessment of customer requirements, activity and agency mission objectives and significant new information or trends in the assigned subject areas.
- Integrates results from selected analytical approaches. Develops approaches for testing the validity of hypotheses on critical technical issues and trend projections to overcome limitations of traditional methods. Defends position for validity and soundness of methodologies, intelligence policy emphasis, satisfaction of customer requirements for adherence to DOD/IC policies and objectives in a variety of reviews through the chain of command.
- Provides timely, authoritative and sound advice and recommendations on assigned intelligence specialty area though the Directorates chain of command.
- Regularly represents the Future Concepts Group (FCG) on Intelligence Community working groups and committees, presenting significant analytical issues and relative to developing an agency intelligence position for presentation to decision makers.
- Responsible for building collaborative relationships that cut across NRO Technology Enterprise and IC functional boundaries in order to develop integrated plans for FCG and the NRO as well as interfacing with industry, academia, external agencies and mission partners on relevant R&D; Issues.
- Provides interim Subject Matter expertise to support Advanced Systems Technology Directorate (AS&T;) management, and peers within the technology enterprise on a regular basis. Serves as the contracting Officers Technical Representative for very complex technical assistance contracts.
- Occasional Travel
- May be required to travel in Military or commercial aircraft to perform temporary duty assignments.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Application materials must be received by 11:59PM EST on the closing date.
- This is a drug testing designated position.
- This is an Excepted Service position.
- Must obtain/maintain Critical Sensitive TS/SCI clearance w/Polygraph
This position has a Basic Requirement for the 0800 series: Applicants must meet the BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS as follows: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800/
NOTE: Applicants claiming eligibility under the related curriculum paragraph (4) must provide* ONE** of the two following documents: (a) Letter signed by the professional engineer who supervised the applicant's training plan. The letter must include the starting date and completion date of applicant's training plan and the courses, experience, and/or education completed during the training agreement; OR (b) Letter signed by a professional engineer who supervised the applicant's professional engineering work experience. The letter must include the name of the Company/Agency, dates of employment, and a description of the professional engineering duties.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level
*NOTE: Failure to provide transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened based on the Office of Personnel Management's (OPMs) basic qualifications requirements. See: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/aerospace-engineering-series-0861/ for OPM qualification standards, competencies and specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position as described in the MAJOR DUTIES and QUALIFICATIONS sections of this announcement by Monday, October 31, 2016
Applicant must have directly applicable experience that demonstrates the possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies necessary for immediate success in the position. Qualifying experience may have been acquired in any public or private sector job, but will clearly demonstrate past experience in the application of the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully perform the duties of the position. Such experience is typically in or directly related to the work of the position to be filled. Experience must be reflected in your resume.
Qualifying experience required for this position is:
- Experience in one of the following: aerospace engineering, space physics, aerospace science, space systems, and advanced sensors.
- Working with the capabilities and technical composition of the major elements of space intelligence systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following : nanomaterials for space, small/cube satellites, optics, electro-optical sensors, solar powered systems, aerospace engineering, material science, optics, Radio Frequency (RF), microelectronics, artificial intelligence, machine learning or deep learning and space physics.
- Broad knowledge in governmental labs, the U.S. industrial base, and civilian universities relevant to overhead collection systems.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following competencies: 1. Knowledge of Intelligence Community space systems research and collection capabilities. 2. Experience in analytical objectives, project scope, assessment and integrating results 3. Knowledge of Aerospace Engineering concepts to effectively provide advisory services 4. Ability to communicate complex issues and information effectively, orally and in writing.
Degree: Professional Engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800/
Foreign Education: For further information, click on the following link: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time OVERTIME: Occasionally TOUR OF DUTY:Flexible PCS (Permanent Change of Station): May be paid for Internal NRO applicants RECRUITMENT INCENTIVES: Not Authorized FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA): Exempt FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Required TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is NOT telework eligible SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIREMENT: https://www.sss.gov
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
- Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a two-year trial period.
- If selected, Federal employees currently serving in the competitive service must acknowledge that they will voluntarily leave the competitive service by accepting an offer of employment for a DCIPS excepted service position.
- If selected, non-DCIPS candidates must acknowledge in writing that the position they have been selected for is in the excepted service and covered by DCIPS.
THIS IS A CRITICAL ACQUISITION POSITION (CAP). Selectee for this position will be required to sign a written agreement to remain, for a minimum of three years, in the federal service in this critical acquisition position.
Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA): Selectees are allotted 2 years in which to achieve DAWIA Level III certification requirements in accordance with the 1990 Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act. Certification is the procedure through which a military service or DoD Component determines that an employee meets the education, training, and experience standards required for a career level in any acquisition, technology, and logistics career field.
All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement
What To Expect Next
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review will be made of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following Web address is provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees:
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
VETERANS PREFERENCE/CURRENT OR FORMER FEDERAL
In accordance with DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, veterans preference is not required to be applied when considering candidates with prior Federal civilian service competitive or excepted service who have completed a probationary or trial period and have not been separated for cause. Therefore, veterans preference will not be applied to applicants with current federal civilian service, or former federal civilian service meeting the above criteria.
NOTE: If you submit a resume but no questionnaire, you cannot be considered for the position. If you submit a questionnaire but no resume, you cannot be considered for the position. Your application will be appropriately documented and you will be removed from further competition against this announcement. REGARDING INTERVIEWS:* Interviews may be required for this position. Accommodations may be made to conduct telephonic interviews to preclude travel hardships for applicants. *NOTE: Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $92,145.00 to $119,794.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GG-0861-13/13
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Status Candidates
Control Number: 453675700
Job Announcement Number: NRO-17-1812826-B