Indian Health Service Practical Nurse in Cass Lake, Minnesota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Cass Lake, MN
- Red Lake, MN
- White Earth, MN
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Tuesday 9/20/2016 (34 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-17-BJ-1804949-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Northern Plains Regional Bemidji Area, PHS Indian Health Hospitals INCLUDE: Cass Lake & Red Lake, Minnesota; and Health Care Facilities INCLUDE: White Earth, Minnesota.
Your application will expire in 3 months and you will need to reapply to keep your application active.
This is an Open Continuous Announcement (OCA)and applications will be referred when vacancies occur. This Announcement is intended as a mechanism of providing consideration for the greatest number of potential candidates. Candidates with a complete application will be considered for all vacancies that occur for a 3-month period or the closing date of this announcement, whichever comes first. You will be considered for those vacancies that match your desired geographic locations, skills and or job preferences. Positions may be filled at ANY of the grade levels indicated in this announcement, with or without promotion potential as vacancies occur. Applicants should specify the lowest grade (GS-level) that they will accept. DIRECT HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUCEMENT: These positions are being filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hiring Authority (DHA). The "Direct Hiring Authority" has been authorized by Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 code of the Code of Federal Regulations (5 CFR). IF filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: All applicant(s) who meet the basic qualifications requirements will be forwarded to the "Selecting Official" for consideration. The rule of three, 1) Veteran(s) Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants, do not apply to the Direct Hire process. 2) Indian Preference does apply.
- Provides age specific nursing care services to ambulatory care clinics, general medical, surgical, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, neonatal, intensive care/critical care and emergency room patients.
- Prepares and administers following physician order for medication both orally and by intramuscular injection, performs catheterization, changes surgical dressings, suctioning and irrigates body orifices.
- Screens by obtaining vital signs, gross and subtle observations and facts regarding patient treatment and progress; documents assessment on patient record.
- Prepares patients for special laboratory tests, examinations, and treatments. Sets up and manages specialized equipment such as suction, oxygen, EKG and a variety of drainage tubes; labels tissue. Specimens.
- Provides patient and family education. (Medication use, activities, diet, self-care and assists with special to simple tests and procedures)
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- ### Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume. INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS BASIC REQUIREMENTS LICENSURE Candidates must be currently licensed to practice as practical or vocational nurses in a State or territory of the United States or District of Columbia or must have applied for a license to practice. Applications of candidates possessing a license must be accompanied by a certified or phot copy of the license, a notarized statement attesting to the fact, or citation of the license number and State issuing it. Non-licensed candidates who have competed their training may be appointed subject to
obtaining the required license during the probationary period. Those not licensed must furnish the date on which they applied for a license and the jurisdiction involved. No person appointed pending licensure may be retained beyond the probationary period if licensure has not been attained. Applicants who meet the licensure requirement are considered fully qualified for GS-03. ADDITOINAL REQUIREMENTS for GRADES GS-04 and ABOVE EXPERIENCE Qualifying experience included nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures, performing such duties as:
- Providing pre- and post-operative patient care.
- Observing, recording, and reporting changes in behavior of mentally ill patients.
- Providing reassurance and encouragement to mentally ill patients.
- Assisting surgeons and registered nurses in operating room activities, including passing instruments, maintaining sterile conditions, and draping and positioning patients.
- Setting up and operating special medical equipment and apparatus.
GS-04: Six (6) months of nursing experience is required. GS-05: One (1) year of nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-04 grade level.
GS-06: One (1) year of nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level. OR EDUCAITON/TRAINING For GS-04: Successful completion of a program in practical nursing of at least 9 months' duration combined with 1 year of nursing assistant experience; or successful completion of a 2-year degree program in an accredited community college, junior college, or college or university in practical nursing. The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Males over the age of 18, and born after December 31, 1959, are required to be registered with the Selective Service System (or have an exemption) in order to be eligible for employment with the Federal Government.
- Government housing is not available.
- This is a bargaining unit position. (Red Lake positions are not bargaining unit positions)
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- A one probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institutionfor electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $28,886.00 to $46,831.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0620-04/06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 451097800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-BJ-1805055-DH