HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Consulting Database Administrator in Brentwood, Tennessee
The Consulting Database Administrator’s role is to lead and manage the creation, management, and quality of SQL Server databases, schemas, and queries. The database administrator must provide specific technical depth of database platform and infrastructure knowledge and skills that cover a broad range of disciplines including systems design, storage design, data modeling, data warehousing design, and other data delivery technologies. The candidate will work closely with the Manager of System Engineering, Customer Engagement, Architecture and Planning, and Product Development team leaders as well as with HCA IT&S Service Management & Delivery and Information Security teams.
Candidates provide engineering skills covering various SQL Server technologies, including SQL Server administration, Service Broker, SSRS and SSIS, database schema definition, query performance tuning, and Powershell.
Candidates are expected to be capable of meeting objectives with very little supervision. We need motivated, independent workers who can work well within a team, effectively communicate thoughts and ideas, and bring a high level of innovation and quality.
• Works with stakeholders to create requirements for new infrastructure and solutions related to SQL Server
• Leads efforts to create architecture around new database systems and platforms
• Leads implementation efforts of database systems and platforms, delivering quality solutions in a timely manner in compliance with defined requirements
• Works with application delivery managers and application developers to deploy custom SSIS packages, DDL, and queries; and create automated deployment solutions
• Conduct regular performance testing and tuning
• Manage database server CPU, storage, and memory utilization
• Provision, manage, and audit database security
• Provides support to application development teams for database needs
• Works with System Engineers to integrate systems and applications with databases
• Work in collaboration with Data Architect to design, implement, and tune database schemas
• Work in collaboration with Data Architect to optimize physical tables and partitions
• Work in collaboration with Data Architect to implement dimensional models, including aggregation and indexing strategies
• Fully responsible for the SQL Server technology stack
• Responsible for leading an operational “sphere of responsibility” (e.g. Nashville infrastructure lead, operations supervisor, vendor relations, etc.)
• Manages documentation of database standards
• Responsible for defining and executing operational procedures for database systems and platforms, including backups, monitoring, capacity planning, and administration • Leads activities to proactively maintain and upgrade platforms and systems • Develops automation capabilities to automate the deployment and maintenance of systems and platforms • Identify, investigate, evaluate and quickly become proficient in new technologies and technical disciplines that are of significance to HealthTrust • Coaches team on use of approved methodologies, processes and toolsets defined within the operations and infrastructure services group • Mentoring of junior and entry level DBAs • Participates in system engineering strategy planning • Defines project tasks and plans and executes to project completion • Capable of leading small teams on specialized projects • Assists in the interviewing process for future teammates • Other duties as assigned
- 7 years required or 10 years preferred
College graduate preferred
Technical Certification and experience may substitute for formal education.
Applicable Certifications: • Microsoft MCDBA • Microsoft MCSE/MCSA • EMC EMCSA/EMCPE • ITIL/TOGAF
• Significant experience in deploying technically complex infrastructure computing solutions across platforms and components • Demonstrated ability to prepare and maintain documentation • Specific platform knowledge in SQL Server and related technologies • Knowledge of SSIS, SQL jobs, Service Broker, Change Data Capture, ODBC, SSRS, ETL, stored procedures, T-SQL optimization • Knowledge of Powershell and its applicability to SQL Server, specifically SQL Server management objects • Solid understanding and experience with operating system concepts and practical implementation of those fundamentals in a large-scale production environment, including Microsoft clustering technologies • Support relating to technical issues involving Microsoft’s database technologies, as well as SQL Server integration with operating systems and storage platforms • Experience supporting custom application development • Experience in system automation using Powershell, command shell, scripting, database and/or application programming • Proven strong critical thinking
Technologies utilized at Healthtrust (nice-to-have skills, but not required):
• SAN & NAS technologies – EMC, 3Par, NetApp • Network technologies – Cisco routers, switches, DNS • Firewall technologies – Cisco ASA, Checkpoint • Security technologies, including Ping Federate, certificate management • Virtualization technologies – Vmware • Business Intelligence platform - Microstrategy • Application Platforms – IIS, .NET, Sitecore, Java, SharePoint • Configuration Management – Puppet • Backup technologies – Veeam • Monitoring platforms – Idera DM, SCOM, Solarwinds • Anti-virus – Trend • Big Data platform – Cloudera Hadoop, Spark
Title: Consulting Database Administrator
Location: Tennessee-Brentwood-Corporate Brentwood
Requisition ID: 10207-19280