Sunrise Medical Research Engineer in Boulder, Colorado
Sunrise Medical is focused on Improving People's Lives by leading in the design, manufacturing and marketing of innovative, high-quality mobility products and services. Sunrise Medical is always looking for people who care - about our customers, our products, our company and one another. Are you ready to join a team whose mission is to improve people's lives?
# of openings: 1
Responsible for investigating applicable product designs and technologies, developed within or external to the mobility industry, and applying the most viable to profitably solve customer related problems.
PRINCIPAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Continually scan and investigate a variety of technical and design resources to identify potentially beneficial technologies. Information sources to be used will be trade shows, user expos, technology development companies, mobility industry events, university research, industry relevant thought leaders, patents, and the internet.
- Through research, discussions and field visits, develop a deep understanding of the use and application of mobility products by the end-users as well as other parties involved in the provision and use of mobility products.
- Work with external product and technology suppliers to apply their technology for use in Sunrise Medical products.
- Vetting specific technologies and designs through market feedback, technical evaluation including prototyping and testing, and internal evaluation (obtaining input from business and technology leaders in the company). This must be done in an expedient and decisive manner.
- Compiling and presenting findings as well as recommendations.
- Managing multiple interests simultaneously, working to timing and achievement goals within Advanced R&D.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline.
- Proficient at investigative methodologies, including the use of the internet for research.
- Ability to seek out new/existing technologies, materials, processes, design concepts, intellectual property from outside industries for the purpose of evaluating for potential application.
- Ability to complete a variety of evaluation facets including, imperial testing, mathematical & analytical analysis, CADD conceptualizing & research summary documents.
- Must have data organization capabilities including, organization of research outlets, raw data mined from collection points, categorization of technologies, evaluations, summaries, and reports chronicled in order to continue to efficiently hone in on relevant potentials.
- Solid technical background, understanding general principals of mechanics, materials, electronics, or other comparable technical background capabilities.
- Functional knowledge of design principals to facilitate & envision usage of research outputs.
- CADD is a fundamental job skill for the purposes of evaluation at various levels.
- Ability to travel 15% of the time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Far Vision - The ability to see details at a distance.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Visualization - The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand
- Lifting - Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Travel - Able to travel via car & plane for extended periods of time.