HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Unit Secretary - Post Partum - Weekend Days in Austin, Texas
POSITION SUMMARY Responsible for the secretarial functions in the appropriate department. Interacts with patients, visitors, physicians and their office staff, and other hospital personnel in a professional manner. The Unit Secretary communicates patient information, manually and electronically, to appropriate healthcare providers. Enters patient orders electronically. Prioritizes the flow of patient information to all areas. Acts as a centralized communication facilitator for the patient care areas. Keeps patient information confidential. Exercises professional judgment in performance of services and maintains demeanor complementary of medical ethics.
Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program. Acts with honesty and integrity. Treats colleagues, customers, patients and families with respect, loyalty and dignity.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and St. David's HealthCare.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES(as required by facility/unit/dept)
Performs general unit duties: Actively supports the operations of the nursing unit.
* Performs clerical functions in compliance with hospital policies and procedures.
* Responsible for courteous, accurate and timely communication of information.
* Take messages accurately and relays them immediately.
* Responsible for supervision of nursing unit's physical needs.
* Monitor refrigerator temperature daily as required.
* Maintains unit based logs on patients for patient admissions, transfers and discharge
* Demonstrates proficiency in computer order entry with 95% accuracy
* Answer telephone in a courteous and professional manner stating name, title and unit.
* Routes telephone calls to the appropriate individual
* Responsible for ordering and maintaining par level on unit supplies, forms, handouts on a regular schedule.
* Responsible for keeping Health Information Management files/forms in orderly, organized fashion.
* Obtain equipment such as beds, pumps, etc as needed by nurses.
* Input patient charges into computer for all designated chargeable services provided on the unit.
* Units with at tube station:Attend to tube station by sending and distributing medications, paperwork, etc.
* Appropriately accesses secured rooms with medications storage containers in order to perform assigned job function, which does not include management of medication.
* Demonstrates knowledge of medication security.
* Print off patient discharge instructions as needed. Communicates patient discharges and transfers to appropriate personnel. * Discharge patients immediately from computer upon patient leaving the unit. * Notify housekeeping of rooms to be cleaned promptly after patient discharge.
Communicates/handles Physician/Patient orders and information appropriately and accurately * Enters all physician orders including medication orders. * Notifies nurse of new electronic patient orders and/or all "stat" and now" orders * Notifies departments of special orders. * Acts as a resource person for staff and physicians regarding input of orders. * Identifies policy violations and refers to Charge Nurse/Primary Nurse (e.g. orders with unapproved abbreviations, orders to resume all/continue, etc) * Enters clinical information and/or physician orders into the unit's computer documentation system such as Meditech accurately. * NAMC only:Place ePOM Session Sheets on chart immediately.
Patient Medical Records: * Responsible for maintaining chart organization including all required forms: Demographics, flowsheets, diagnostics reports/information, lab/x-ray reports, resuscitative status orders. * Prepare charts for new patients and organize charts for discharged patients following the Health Information Management policy/protocol. * Insures copies of patient records ready for transfers.
Customer Relations: Provides assistance, guidance, and direction to patients, visitors, nurses and physicians in a professional manner. * Interacts with family members as needed, in a customer-friendly atmosphere. * Provides accurate information to all customers, while maintaining compliance with patient confidentiality standards. * Knowledgeable of the emotional, spiritual, religious and cultural support aspects when dealing with patients and their significant others. * Answer call lights and refers to licensed nurse, as needed. * Promptly greets individuals entering the unit and offers assistance/directions. * Instructs transporters to sign patients in and out of transportation log. * Assist with sending specimens to lab as needed. Follows hospital's universal precautions standards.
Professionalism: Performs job duties and interacts with others to develop respect and trust: * Acts as a resource person regarding equipment, including, but not limited to, computers, printers, fax, phone, and paging systems. * Maintains confidentiality about all hospital matters. * Demonstrates an ongoing knowledge of and participation in unit-based QI program. * Assumes responsibility for unit specific training and verifying competency of new unit secretary users on the computer for order entry. * Completes unit secretary's competency checklist, age specific competency requirements, and annual mandatory education. * Attends 80% of unit meetings. * Attends 100% of mandatory meetings and inservices * Adheres to the hospital and unit policies and procedures.
REQUIRED: High school diploma or GED equivalent. PREFERRED: College courses in the health related field.
PREFERRED: Computer skills, 1-2 years college and/or business school, 1 year experience in general office or as a hospital based unit clerk, or a crossed trained PCT I
Special Qualifications * Good communication skills, able to read, write and comprehend medical terminology. * Good grammar, spelling and math skill to perform related clerical and secretarial duties, * Ability to interact with others in a diplomatic and courteous manner on the telephone and in person.
Licenses and Certificates: None required
Title: Unit Secretary - Post Partum - Weekend Days
Location: Texas-Austin-North Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 08224-49345