HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Nurse Level ll Nursery (NICU) F/T Nights/Offering Sign-On and Relocation in Austin, Texas
Unit Description: South Austin Medical Center's Women's Services department is divided into 4 areas. We have a 23-bed post partum/gyn surgical unit, which consists of post partum mothers, GYN surgical patients, and occasional med/surg overflow.
Our Level I Nursery is equipped for 18 newborns and promotes rooming in with parents to foster a holistic approach to patient care. Our 9 bed Level II NICU is new renovated.
Position Description: NICU F/T Nights with rotating weekends Responsible for professional nursing care and related assistance to patients with a broad range of illnesses. The RN is involved in direct and indirect patient care. The RN provides direction to licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) and other non-licensed nursing personnel in providing direct patient care. The staff nurse supports the medical care of patients under the direction of the Medical Staff pursuant to the objectives of the hospital. In collaboration with other health team members, follows the philosophy, policies and goals of the facility and department.
1) Administers care for the obstetrical patient having surgical procedure in the Labor & Delivery Operating Suite. Intraoperative and post anesthesia care is in accordance with Hospital established standards of care.
2) Performs steam sterilization processing of instruments and supplies for the MCH unit in accordance with Hospital standards for sterilization. Assures sterilization parameters have been met before utilizing supplies.
3) Assists with the care of the newborn at deliveries. Maintains skills in neonatal resuscitation.
4) Demonstrates assessment skills in both high risk and low risk obstetrical patients. Recognition of maternal and/or fetal problems are identified and reported to the physician.
5) Assists with the transfer of newborn to another facility when indicated. Notifies charge nurse and House Supervisor of anticipated transfer.
6) Notifies all surgical team members of emergency and scheduled surgical procedures.
7) Accurately identifies and bands newborn, mother and significant others with matching identabands. Documents band identification number appropriately in medical record. Verifies band and medical record document with nursery upon arrival to nursery.
8) Provides emotional support and assists in contracting Pregnancy Loss Support Group for parents/significant others experiencing grief due to newborn condition at birth, parental separation from newborn, neonatal death or fetal demise.
9) Demonstrates knowledge and provides support to natural mother, agencies, and foster or adoptive parents when newborn is for adoption.
10) Demonstrates knowledge of individual role in Hospital infant abduction plan.
11) Demonstrate understanding of HCA's and "Patients First" safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
12) Performs other related duties as directed or required.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.
Education/Experience: Required : Graduation from an NLN school of professional nursing. A minimum of 1 year nursery experience.
Preferred : Completion of or actively pursuing a BSN degree.
Required : Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Texas. Current BLS certification from the American Heart Association.
Title: Registered Nurse Level ll Nursery (NICU) F/T Nights/Offering Sign-On and Relocation
Location: Texas-Austin-South Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00196-49048