HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Dietician - PRN in Austin, Texas
Position Summary Assists in providing optimal nutritional care for patients and/or residents. Coordinates food service activities involving diet preferences, supplements, restrictions and basic diet instructions. Develops departmental schedules, budget, policies and procedure.
Work Schedule Flexible schedules to cover all shifts and weekends, as hospital needs demand.
- Willing to make frequent adaptations of standard procedures when necessary.
- Assists with on-the job training.
- Capable of providing professional direction to USS's and food service workers.
- Ability to supervise the planning of daily menus for therapeutic diets.
- Must be able to evaluate the nutritional care of patients concurrently and retrospectively (inpatients and outpatients).
- Capable of documenting the medical records, via computer, of all patients on therapeutic diets and others where feasible.
- Records, via computer, dietary history of patients identifying food allergies, those unable to accept a limited diet regimen and others where appropriate.
- Capable of interviewing and counseling patients, their families and/or other appropriate persons.
- Willingness to work with realization that errors may have serious consequences for patient.
- Discharge diet instruction to patients and their families and/or appropriate persons.
- Records daily visits and evaluation for diet office.
- Participates in rounds, conferences, committees and staff meetings when appropriate.
- Able to provide in service training for nursing and medical staff.
- Must achieve and maintain good working relationship with physician, professional nurses, related nursing services personnel, food service workers and others. Tact, cooperation and confidentiality are essential. Demonstrates initiative and good judgment.
- Attends continuing education programs.
- Capable of ordering appropriate amount of food and supplies to avoid shortage or excess.
- Able to schedule staff according to department needs and budgetary constraints.
- Must be able to maintain expenses within budget.
Qualifications/Specifications · Education: Completion of a Bachelor's of Science degree in Foods and Nutrition which meets the standards established by the American Dietetic Association. · Registration: Must be registered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. · Licensure: Must attain state licensure, as applicable. · Experience: 1 year of food service supervision and one year acute clinical hospital experience. · Essential Technical/Motor Skills: Able to manipulate various electronic and mechanical devices such as calculators, computers, copiers, etc. · Interpersonal Skills: Must be able to interact and communicate in English, both orally and written, with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and families in an effective manner, exhibiting tact, enthusiasm, and patience. Able to direct employees to perform job functions, and persuade patients to develop appropriate eating patterns. · Essential Physical Requirements: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. · Essential Mental Abilities: Ability to plan work and develop procedures; to learn and/or evaluate complex information in order to make judgments and decisions. · Essential Sensory Requirements: Requires corrected hearing and vision within a normal range and ability to distinguish color. · Exposure to Hazards : Extreme Heat: exposure to non-weather-related hot temperatures. Frequently -Condition exists up to 1/3 to 2/3 of the time. Noise: The noise intensity level of which the worker is exposed in the job environment. Level - Moderate. Chemicals: Exposure to industrial strength cleaning materials. Condition exists up to 1/3 of time. Wet or slippery floors: Condition exists up to 1/3 of time. · Age-Specific Criteria: Must demonstrate and maintain current knowledge and skills necessary to provide care/services to the age of the patients served in the hospital facility. Must also possess the ability to assess data and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their specific needs. · Other: Understands the mission and vision of the hospital. Operates within the concept of patient focused care. Evolves into an effective team member. Must adhere to dress code; good grooming and personal hygiene habits; and strict adherence to attendance policies. Maintains knowledge of and conforms to hospital policies and procedures. Employee must maintain satisfactory level of knowledge and skill in Age Specific Competencies for the appropriate patient population.
Title: Registered Dietician - PRN
Location: Texas-Austin-Heart Hospital of Austin
Requisition ID: 25960-48367