HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Director of Emergency Services in Austin, Texas
The Emergency Departmet Service Director assumes 24-hour responsibility and accountability for nursing care in the areas of responsibility. The position requires knowledge and skill of professional nursing theory and practice, leadership in administration, principles of effective teaching and learning, fiscal management, and effective interpersonal relationships and communication. Knowledge, understanding, acceptance, and support of the philosophy, objectives, and policies of the nursing service and the institution as a whole are essential. The Service Director assumes responsibility for care of patients as they move through the hospital and into the home or other level of care in the community. Provides leadership and support to the units' nurse manager using creative leadership to ensure best outcomes in high quality compassionate patient care. The director works with medical staff and other health care professionals collaboratively.
The Service Director also:
- Adopts creative and futuristic planning for health care delivery in the areas of responsibility.
- Assumes leadership role in developing departmental goals and objectives to support the Hospital's vision, mission and strategic plan.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure the provision on one level of care or services for all patients.
- Ensures a work environment free of harassment where employees, patients and all customers are treated with dignity and respect.
- Identifies and recommends space, supplies, equipment and resources needed for departmental operations.
- Participates in the planning and development of proposals for new patient care programs. Implements approved proposals.
- Participates in planning departmental construction and remodeling as appropriate.
- Leads cost efficient and effective operations.
- Assumes responsibility for patient care activities through delegation to the managers and empowers them for professional decision making at the operational level.
- Chairs and participates actively in selected committee activities. Organizes work and meets priorities.
- Serves as a professional role model to managers and staff.
- Provides positive leadership to departmental, hospital, and corporate initiatives.
- Assures regulatory compliance (e.g., DHS, OSHA. JCAHO) and other appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Remains current in health care issues and trends and identifies the impact on the department.
- Interfaces with the nursing schools and participates in curriculum development and provides clinical instructors when resources available.
- Serves as a preceptor for students in graduate nursing programs.
- Serves as a resource and consultant in areas of expertise.
- Creates an innovative environment utilizing nursing applied research and technology as appropriate.
- Valid State RN license.
- Current CPR Course C.
- National RN Certification preferred.
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing.
- Masters Degree required or enrolled in an accredited program. MSN preferred.
- Minimum 5 years recent experience in acute care emergency department management, responsible for one or more units.
D. Knowledge, Skills, and Leadership
- Leadership and management ability with a consistent disposition to be objective
- Verbal and Writing skills
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Computer literate
- Flexibility in meeting multiple demands
- Management of human and financial resources.
- Ability to implement change.
- Patient care equipment
- Copy machine
F. Professional Development:
- Maintains clinical and leadership competencies.
- Identifies own professional needs and establishes and evaluates measurable goals for own professional growth and performance for the organization.
- Participates in professional organizations.
Title: Director of Emergency Services
Location: Texas-Austin-North Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 08224-49482