Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Director, Government Relations(660532) - Security clearance required in Arlington, Virginia
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Director, Government Relations
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Government Relations for Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.’s (Ball Aerospace) Strategic Operations (StratOps) organization located in the Washington, D.C. area. The Director will advocate for Ball defense and intelligence programs with Congress and committees of both the House of Representatives and the Senate as well as the Executive Branch.
This position reports to the Vice President and General Manager of Strategic Operations. The reporting location for the position is in the Washington, D.C. area.
Ball Aerospace’s Strategic Operations (StratOps) works collaboratively across Ball Aerospace and our stakeholder community to increase our profile in the market. The StratOps organization consists of Washington DC operations, Marketing & Communication, and Strategic Development. The purpose of StratOps is to strategically position the company within our markets, work with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of the company, and facilitate collaboration across the company.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with StratOps counterparts, appropriate business unit leaders, program managers, and business development teams to help devise and implement strategies to meet company and Strategic Business Unit (SBU) goals and objectives, support strategic planning, and develop proposal and pursuit strategies.
- Ensure coordination of messaging in and out of StratOps and business teams, consistent with company and business goals.
- Serve as integrated team member of defense and intel business unit teams, for development and execution of strategies.
- Generate and sustain enduring relationships with key Committee staff and Members of Congress (especially relevant program/account monitors) and relevant personal staff.
- Help devise and implement Ball Aerospace Government Relations’ strategies consistent with the Ball Aerospace strategic plan and with awareness of Ball Corp priorities.
- Coordinate strategies and activities with primes’ and partners’ outreach activities.
- Demonstrate an ability to anticipate, understand, react, shape and influence Congressional actions that impact the company’s interests.
- Prepare senior leadership for meetings with Members of Congress and key Committee staff.
- Prepare advocacy strategy and action plans to advance Ball Aerospace program and policy initiatives.
- Represent Ball Aerospace at fundraisers, industry and trade association events.
- Prepare and advance hearing questions and questions for the record centered on Ball Aerospace priorities.
- Coordinate and schedule activities with other Directors of StratOps and Business Development (BD) leads and partners.
- Develop/lead internal advocacy teams.
- Manage consultants as required.
- Be a thought leader in the community, including engaging in industry association activities and participating in events of interest to Ball.
- Participate in developing and executing the Ball Political Action Committee (BallPAC) plan.
- Travel will be required.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy or related field.
- A minimum of 15 years related experience required, with a minimum of 10 years experience in legislative affairs at the federal level.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill for a defense or intelligence-related committee is a plus; relevant industry experience is a plus.
- Thorough understanding of the defense and intelligence authorization and appropriations budget process.
- A strong background and experience working with the defense and intelligence community.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership and interpersonal skills in relevant business environments with collaboration skills.
- Willing and able to work in a dynamic environment and possess an innovative spirit.
- Effective in working with people at all levels of an organization and willing to contribute wherever needed, providing leadership to operational activities as well as senior executives.
- Diplomacy, influencing, communication and team skills.
- Only applicants with an active TS/SCI will be considered.
- Ability to travel.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of related experience may be substituted for each year of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- Some early morning and evening hours for work-related functions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball Aerospace campuses in the Washington DC area and between other locations will be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.