Catholic Community Services of Southern Arizona, I Support Service Provider III / Program Specialist III in Albuquerque, New Mexico
As a condition of employment, all CCS employees are required to qualify for an Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card
Serves individuals who are deafblind or deaf-plus by providing supports that enhance independence. Relays visual and environmental information and as well as provides sighted guide support and transportation to and from events. Transports individuals who are deafblind or deaf-plus using agency and/or rental vehicles. Also provides additional supports such as advocacy, assistance with assistive/access technology, and reinforcement of the acquisition of self-advocacy, travel, and independent living skills. May also provide technical assistance to consumer groups. Position may from time to time be stressful and require a high demand of performance. May perform other duties as assigned.
* * Facilitates environmental and visual communication access between clients who are deafblind or deaf-plus and the community * Provides mobility/travel, communication, and other supports to clients who are conducting errands, participating in community events, and other self-directed activities * Provides text access/translation by reading clients’ mail (correspondence and bills) and signs in the environment as well as assist clients in completing forms * Assist clients in telephonic communications, provides assessment and training as necessary and requested * Provides client centered advocacy on behalf of clients * Supports clients’ independence and self-determination by providing accurate information and reinforcement of the acquisition of self-advocacy, travel, and independent living skills * Provides technical assistance to consumer groups (such as Zia Deaf-Blind Club, Trailblazers, etc.) to foster the group’s functioning and independence. * Ensures completion of all required agency paperwork, forms, and reports, as required or assigned – including file notes when indicated/required. * Keeps appropriate Program staff informed of changes and important information in the lives of clients served. * Completes all required trainings and participates in required meetings. * Provides transportation for clients who are deafblind or deaf-plus to/from their home into the community using agency and/or agency rented vehicles * May drive agency, agency rented, and or personal vehicle on company business * May perform other duties as signed.
Suitable work experience may be considered as transferable skills in order to meet minimum requirements of the position, and will be considered by the Corporate Director of Human Resources.
Bachelor’s degree in Rehabilitation, Social Work, education, Vocational Rehabilitation, Psychology, or related field
- 3 years’ experience working with individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, deafblind, deaf-plus, blind, and/or low vision
- Sign Language skills in American Sign Language, Manually Coded English, and/or English and/or uncontracted Braille and/or in other alternate communication modes used by individuals who are deafblind or deaf-plus (e.g., tactile signing, print-on-palm, tangible symbols, etc.)
- Proven ability to write clear and easily understandable reports in standard English
- Proven ability to lift 35 pounds 15% of the time
- Ability to travel independently
- Basic computer and typing skills
- Arizona – Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Valid Arizona or New Mexico Driver License, proof of insurance, and Motor Vehicle Division 39 month Motor Vehicle Report for Arizona and 36 month Motor Vehicle Report for New Mexico
- Pass drug screening
* * Master degree in Rehabilitation, Social Work, education, Vocational Rehabilitation, Psychology or related field * Additional years of experience working with individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, deafblind, blind, or low vision * Fluency and/ or Certification (and/or Licensure in New Mexico) in Sign Interpreting or Sign Transliteration (i.e.: Interpreter III – NAD4, or RID CI or CT, or EIPA 4.0, or NIC Certified or Interpreter IV – RID CI and CT, or CSC, or CDI/RSC, or NAD5, or EIPA 5.0, or NIC Advanced) * Provisional certification to each Braille or certification of completion of contracted Braille course * Experience in providing advocacy support to individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, deafblind, deaf-plus, low vision, and/or blind * Experience in providing follow-up support/reinforcement to individuals learning self-advocacy, travel, and/or independent living skills * Certification/licensure with emphasis on working with individuals who are deafblind or deaf-plus * Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities * Experience working with individuals with fine and/or gross motor disabilities * Applicable knowledge in the assessment and modification of the environment to enhance the use of residual vision and/or audition by individuals who are deafblind or deaf-plus * Knowledge and use of varied communication modes used by individuals who are deafblind or deaf-plus to include tactile signing, Braille, communication board/devices, and/or tangible symbols * Proficient in using assistive/access technology and software * Proficient in the use of assistive listening devices * Proficient in the use of low vision devices (optical and non-optical) * Knowledge of contracted Braille * Additional years of directly related experience * First Aid and CPR certification
Location: Community Outreach Program for the Deaf - Albuquerque
Status: Non Exempt - On Call
Salary: $12.90 – $16.13 depending on experience
Open: Dec 1, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing