Sandia National Laboratories Solutions Architect (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Group 9510 is seeking senior or principal IT Solutions Architects with strong system, software, or business architecture experience and technical leadership skills, with proven ability to drive technical and strategic direction, architect new systems and software applications, collaborate with a cross-discipline team of software engineers, management, customers, and end users to deliver innovative solutions, develop proposals for future business, and drive initiatives that improve the quality and user experience of our products. This position may require leading technical projects of varying size, managing cost, performance, and schedule in a fast-paced environment.
There are multiple opportunities within this group. Successful candidates will be considered by the various managers for placement in positions based on the organization’s needs.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Apply mathematics, computer science, and engineering practices and skills to information system problems.
- Research, assemble, and evaluate information or data regarding industry practices or regulatory changes affecting policies or programs of various information system domains.
- Interface with the customers - internal or external to Sandia - to elicit and define information system requirements.
- Research, prototype, architect, and design solutions for effective operation of mission enabling or direct mission information systems. This may involve evaluating and selecting commercial-off-the-shelf or open source information systems domain options.
- Provide architectural direction for information systems.
- Be responsible for resolving issues that require architectural changes.
- Develop strategic solutions that reduce future life-cycle costs and position Sandia synergistically for future mission work.
- Identify risks and risk-reduction strategies as part of balancing performance, cost, and schedule for various technical options.
- Participate in cross-system collaboration to define interfaces between systems.
- Evaluate, test, and analyze implementation, functionality, performance, and tools of information system solutions, ensuring that requirements and acceptance criteria are met.
- Advance solution space by resolving complex, difficult, or unique information system issues using creative, effective, and possibly leading edge solutions.
- Evaluate and select commercial-off-the-shelf or open source information systems domain options.
- Research solutions for problems that span multiple domains such as information assurance, hardware, software development, systems programming, data management, database development, systems security, networking, and telecommunications.
- Integrate strategic thinking into the formulation of solutions and capabilities to ensure that long-term objectives and impacts are factored into the design process.
- Requires a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering,Management Information Systems, or related discipline plus 2 or more years of relevant experience OR a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems, or related discipline plus 5 or more of relevant experience with developing software
- Experience in software design and development, including proficiency in objected-oriented design and development
- Hands-on enterprise, system, or software architecture experience, plus solid understanding and experience with the software lifecycle, including planning, developing, and deploying robust, highly available systems or applications
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering,Management Information Systems, or related discipline
- Five or more years of experience in software design and development, including proficiency in objected-oriented design and development
- Two or more years of hands-on enterprise, system, or software architecture experience, plus solid understanding and experience with the software lifecycle, including planning, developing, and deploying robust, highly available systems or applications.
- Experience in User/Human Centered Design
- Experience delivering or utilizing Cloud technologies such as infrastructure (IaaS), applications (SaaS), platforms (PaaS)
- Experience in developing systems for managing big-data, analytics or business intelligence across disparate data sources
- Experience with Container Technologies (e.g. Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience in developing with open-source or COTS-based messaging, integration, data store and application server platforms
- Experience architecting information or software systems, including proficiency with industry best practices (e.g., TOGAF, SysML) and model-driven lifecycle; demonstrated knowledge of emergent information technologies and industry trends.
- Experience with service-oriented architectures (SOA)/Microservices Architecture, including design, development and deployment strategies
- Understanding of the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) domain or PRIDE application suite, including business and requirements architecture
- Willingness and ability to learn and lead group processes and initiatives, and a desire to enthusiastically and proactively contribute toward internal organizational and process improvements
- Demonstrate strong strategic thinking skills, and ability to see and convey the big picture; critical thinking, synthesis and problem-solving; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation; excellent listening and communication skills.
- Experience with modeling languages, tools, and model-driven development, such as UML or SysML and SparxEA or MagicDraw
The Science and Engineering Information Systems (SEIS) Organization is a highly integrated team of departments focused on delivering software and system solutions which impact Sandia's mission-critical programs. Our vision is to be Sandia’s information sciences and engineering partner of choice for advancing informatics, technology assessments, and computer systems, and delivering information engineering products and services. Our key goals are: cost-effective and reliable solutions, customer agility and performance, broad impact across Sandia, and an agile organization. The Organization's work has been primarily focused within the Nuclear Weapons Strategic Management Unit (SMU) and the Nuclear Weapons Complex, with the Defense Systems & Assessments SMU as a major avenue of new growth. Core competencies of the Organization include technology assessments, application and infrastructure security, software engineering, technical project management, requirements engineering, enterprise architecture, data architecture, and configuration management. Emerging competencies include advanced informatics, embedded software development, predictive simulation capabilities, scientific, parallel, and high-performance computing. To have broad impact across Sandia missions, we are purposely extending our core competencies and differentiation capabilities through partnerships with other organizations and through LDRDs. The SEIS Organization employs a rigorous product development and deployment process and staff members are the key impetus for process improvements through adoption of new techniques and industry best practices.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT