Sandia National Laboratories R&D, Computer Science (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The organizations in 9510 are seeking outstanding computer science professionals who have a passion for applying their research and development skills to solve some of the most challenging national security problems. We need people to join our motivated teams of solution architects, computer scientists, and software engineers to help evolve our infrastructure and application suite to meet ever-changing business needs in the various mission areas we support. We are embarking on a challenging transformation of our enterprise portfolio suite of systems and there are challenging decisions and work ahead.
We are looking for candidates with strong technical background in computer science who are eager to deliver innovative solutions in areas critically important to Sandia’s mission, and to creatively apply their research and development or software engineering skillset towards realizing a future enterprise vision.
There are multiple opportunities within this group. Successful candidates will be considered by the various managers for placement in positions based on the oranization’s needs.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform software engineering practices, including designing, implementing, testing, and maintaining robust, highly available systems.
- Work collaboratively with architects, developers, technical leads, customers, and end users to collect requirements, design solutions, and deliver high quality and easy-to-use software applications
- Be able to contribute to research and development in areas such as micro-services architectures, human computer interaction (HCI), big data problem space, data and compute virtualization, enterprise cyber security, mobile computing, data analytics, and business intelligence
- Requires a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline OR a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline plus a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience with developing software
- Experience in software design and development using Java, C++, or C#
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
- GPA of 3.5/4.0 for undergraduate degrees, and 3.7/4.0 for graduate degrees.
- Proficiency in objected oriented design and development
- Experience in User/Human Centered Design
- Experience in developing systems for managing big-data, analytics or business intelligence across disparate data sources
- Experience with Container Technologies (e.g. Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience in developing with open-source or COTS-based messaging, integration, data store and application server platforms
- Experience in developing component-based software solutions and frameworks
- Experience in scientific/engineering data processing software development
- Experience with web-based application development
- Experience with 3D game development, augmented reality or virtual reality content creation
- Knowledge of and experience with the full software development life cycle using iterative or agile methods
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment; excellent listening and communication skills
- Critical thinking, synthesis and problem-solving; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation; teaming; self-starting
The Science and Engineering Information Systems (SEIS) Organization is a highly integrated team of departments focused on delivering software and system solutions which impact Sandia's mission-critical programs. Our vision is to be Sandia’s information sciences and engineering partner of choice for advancing informatics, technology assessments, and computer systems, and delivering information engineering products and services. Our key goals are: cost-effective and reliable solutions, customer agility and performance, broad impact across Sandia, and an agile organization. The Organization's work has been primarily focused within the Nuclear Weapons Strategic Management Unit (SMU) and the Nuclear Weapons Complex, with the Defense Systems & Assessments SMU as a major avenue of new growth. Core competencies of the Organization include technology assessments, application and infrastructure security, software engineering, technical project management, requirements engineering, enterprise architecture, data architecture, and configuration management. Emerging competencies include advanced informatics, embedded software development, predictive simulation capabilities, scientific, parallel, and high-performance computing. To have broad impact across Sandia missions, we are purposely extending our core competencies and differentiation capabilities through partnerships with other organizations and through LDRDs. The SEIS Organization employs a rigorous product development and deployment process and staff members are the key impetus for process improvements through adoption of new techniques and industry best practices.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT